35. Meant to be

August 20th, 1993

Emoni,

"Are you sure you wanna go back to work so soon?"

"Yes, I'm sure Nic, I'm sick of sitting around on my ass all day moping. I need to continue making cash if I wanna make it into nursing school."

"Yeah you right, well I hope you have a great day, love you."

"I love you too." I hung the phone on the hook.

It's almost been two weeks since my heated eye-opening conversation with Birdie. I don't even wanna label it as an argument because we both just said how we felt, good or bad. It was all just the truth and I couldn't blame myself for that. Neither could I blame him. Some things just aren't meant to be.

Although I wouldn't turn him away if he was to come to my doorstep. I miss him so much and I feel like deep down inside he misses me too. At least, I hope so.

I got out of my thoughts and finished getting ready for the workday. I brushed off my black suit as if it was covered in lint, it's a force of habit I guess and I do wear black a lot. I walked into my closet grabbing the first pair of heels that I spotted since I only had a few anyway, I was always a sneakerhead growing up, ya know being a tomboy and all.

My mom always made me wear heels though, despite how I felt about it. The only time I didn't wear heels was when I went to church, I had to wear ugly matching floral flats. I definitely don't miss those days.

Anyways, I hurriedly slipped my heels on my feet, strapping them up. I grabbed my wallet by the strap before trotting out the door. I ran all the way to the bus stop, checking the time when I got there.  My watch read, 9:02 pm. That's great since I had to be at work by 10. I was gonna be on time and I still had the time to get something for breakfast as well.

Perfect.

Golden Enterprises

1:30 pm.

I was sitting in the cafeteria area enjoying my Granny Smith apple, my eyes wandered around the slightly filled room as I smacked silently on my apple. It was lunchtime but I wasn't really that hungry so I just grabbed whatever, I haven't really been eating these past few days.

A low sigh escaped my mouth as I swallowed down my chewed food. I was so tired, all I did was tons of paperwork today, and when I thought that I was finally done early, feeling like it was too good to be true, and Mr. Bailey proved that when he entered my office with a fresh new stack of paperwork. So it was nice I finally have a break-even it was just only 15 minutes.

I appreciated it.

"Hey, Emoni." I looked up to be faced with Silvia.

"What do you want?" I asked, anger hidden within my tone.

"Just wanted to see how you are you know, on the account of losing,—."

"I'm fine, Silvia thanks." I cut her sentence off before she could even think of his name.

She sat there staring at me, studying me, hard. I dropped my apple from my hand letting it roll across the table, hopefully falling on her exposed top foot.

"Is that all?" I questioned in annoyance.

"I just wanted to let you know, I saw no name at the club, he was getting real close with the slutty bartender," she smirked.

"Okay? He's a grown man he can do what he pleases." I lied. My attention went back to the table, I heard her heels clicking as she hurried off.

My hands started to shake as the pain grew in my heart. He's moving on? With some cheap-ass bartender at that? He loves me but he's already moving on, just like that? I blinked away tears that sat comfortably at the brim of my eyes, how could he do this to me? Does he really even love me?