7. Moving in Together

February 20th, 1993

Emoni,

"You know, your lucky I didn't get fired right?"

He smirked. "Oh, how come?"

"Because, I need that job."

He kissed his teeth. "Please, aight, don't nobody need to be working at no fucking mcdonalds," he laughed.

"Okay well, i'm sorry that we all can't sell drugs and run clubs and basketball teams like you do."

"I was just playing, crybaby."

"I know that," I pecked his lips softly, before getting up off of him.

"Where you going?" he questioned with a raise of a brow.

"To work, I picked up another shift for today." I said to him, as I slipped on my pants.

He kissed his teeth. "Why?"

"Um, because I need the extra money."

"Why you didn't just ask me, Emoni? You know that I would have gave it to you."

I smiled. "Thanks Birdie, as sweet as that is, I can't take any money from you."

"You can't? Or you just don't wan't to?" he stood to his feet, coming up to me.

"Both,"

"I'm just tryna take care of you."

"I don't need to be taken care of Birdie," I assured him. "I'm fine."

"Oh, really? You fine? Because getting kicked out of yo apartment sure don't seem fine to me."

My eyes got big in shock. "How the fuck did you know about that?"

"Last week, I went by your house, just to see if you were there, and I found this," he reached over to his dresser, opening the top drawer, and he pulled out a piece of paper.

I snatched the paper out of his hand, looking at it clearly. It was my eviction notice. I sighed, keeping my eyes on the floor, to avoid making eye contact with him. "Emoni, look at me." he said.

I slowly brought my eyes up to meet his. "Honestly Birdie, i'm fine," I grabbed his chin, staring deep into his eyes. "I really don't want you to worry about this."

"How can I not worry about my girl not having a place to fucking stay?!"

"Birdie don't get upset, please. I'm gonna get through this, as soon as I get paid, i'm gonna pay the rent, simple," I shrugged.

"Simple? Emoni, did you even read the fucking notice?"

"Yeah, I read it. But it's not that serious, i've been saving up so I could afford to stay over where Nic lives anyways."

He plain faced me. "How much money do you have, Emoni?"

"Almost 400 dollars," I said to him, scratching the back of my head.

He plain faced me. "That's not even close to being enough to live over there."

"Well, I guess i'll just have to stay in a shelter until I get enough money then," I shrugged, grabbing my car keys.