Newt part 3 (61)

"Hey, how are you doing?" You asked, sitting next to Newt

"Hey, how are you doing?" You asked, sitting next to Newt. He turned away, staring at a wall before lifting his hand off of his lap.

"I can't stop shaking. It's getting worse." He paused, watching his hand as it trembled in front of his. He tried to open and close his fingers a few times, but his fingers bent oddly, like he had to force them to move. He closed his hand into a fist and held it to his chest, trying to stop the shaking.

"How are you doing?" He asked, turning to face you again. You frowned, leaning against him.

"It's up to my elbow." You sighed, lifting up your sleeve to show the dark veins, spreading up your arm like tentacles. They were almost up to the bottom of your upper arm. Just barely past the crook of your elbow. Newt frowned, and you pulled your sleeve back down.

"How did we get to this point?" Newt whispered. I shook my head.

"I don't know." You answered quietly. You let your head fall onto Newts shoulder, just able to feel the slight shaking of his arms.

"Alright everyone, it's time to go!" Minho shouted, walking back into the room. He had swiped a gun from a guard, and started barricading the door.

"What's going on?" Everyone asked, Thomas running over to Minho.

"Um, got in a bit of a fiasco with a guard. If we're leaving, we're doing it now." He panted, throwing the gun into his back. Everyone started running around, grabbing all the stuff they could. Newt held out a shaky hand for you to take, and you did. He helped you up, but your legs buckled underneath you for a moment. You regained your balance, but Newt had already grabbed onto your other arm to help.

"I'm okay...I'm good." You sighed, pausing to reassure Newt. He looked down, concerned, but you shrugged.

"Guess my foot fell asleep or something." You fibbed, But you knew that it didn't fool him. You and Newt followed the rest of the group out, ready for the escape plan to be put into action.

"This is it?" You asked quickly, kneeling next to a vent cover on a wall. Thomas nodded.

"Yeah, heads right to a control room. There shouldn't be any guards, but if there is, be careful." Thomas said quietly, glancing up and down the hallway as he unscrewed the cover of the grate. Newt came up behind us, another stolen gun in his hand.

"Almost done?" He asked, keeping the weapon raised as he sat in the hallway. The cover lifted off the wall, and Thomas set it on the ground next to him.

"Alright, there you go. Be careful in there." He said quickly, standing up and taking a few steps away.

"Be careful, please." Newt said, putting his gun down just long enough to bend over and press a quick kiss to your feverish forehead. You smiled, nodding at the two of them before you slid into the vent, the small area was tight around your shoulders, and you had to crawl your way through. You tried to be quiet, limiting the noise that would echo throughout the vent. Eventually, you saw the square of light ahead, and kept crawling towards it. When you pressed on it with your hand, it popped off easily, like it hadn't been screwed in at all. Convenient, Huh?

You crawled out of the vent, onto the ground in front of you, coughing a bit as you did. You stood up shakily, wiping the sweat from the stressful endeavor off of your face. The monitor in front of your face was small, an empty swivel chair behind it. It was clearly a closet used for security cameras, but nobody was there to watch the screen. A few buttons sat beneath it, multicolored and labeled with tiny print.

"Where is it...where is it." You mumbled to yourself, searching the rows of buttons. Your eyes widened when you pressed the button you had been looking for. 'Open security door 2b'

You watched the cameras as Minho led a group of boys out of an empty closet and put the door, sliding underneath it as it opened. Another camera showed Newt and Thomas waiting in an empty testing room, and they had the gun still, but were rummaging through the drawers, pulling out scissors and syringes.

That's when the door behind you clicked, as someone used a card to unlock it. You ducked right back into the vent, sliding your feet inside as a man walked in.

"What the hell?!" He yelled, lunging for your feet. You shrieked, crawling farther into the vent as his hand tried to grab you. You escaped it, narrowly, but then there was a clatter behind you. He tossed a can into the vent with you, and it slowly started to send out a gas, wailing out into the already stale air. You panicked, turning and crawling as fast as you could out of the vent. The gas stung your eyes and made you drowsy, so you figured it was an anesthesia gas. You crawled out onto the ground if the hallway, choking and coughing. Your heartbeat was going crazy, your entire body was heavy.

"Y/N?" Newts voice rang out. You looked up, him and Thomas skidding across the ground. He grabbed your arms, helping you to stand up. Your legs refused to support your weight, and Newt tried to pick you up. His own arms shook with your weight, and Thomas realized.

"I got her, you cover me." Thomas said quickly, scooping you up into his arms. The three of you tore through the hallways, heading back to the open door Minho had gone through. Newt shot a tranquilizer at an outlet on the wall, the electricity shorted out and the door slammed closed again. Thomas set you down on the ground, and Newt collapsed next to you.

"Oh god." You coughed, black blood staining your lips. You turned to Newt, and his head was leaning against the wall. He was trying hard to breathe normally, but you could tell he was struggling. The flare was getting worse, and quickly.

"You guys Alright?" Minho asked, crouching in front of you and Newt.

"Yeah..." You coughed, still recovering from the gas.

"Just give us a minute."