05

It's been raining in Astir for two days straight. To Cobie it felt like the heavens were crying on his behalf, it felt like the dark clouds were expressing his mood for him, making everywhere seem grey and gloomy. Each drop of rain felt like ice, with the rain came cold winds and when it blow Cobie feels like he could hear someone whisper to him but the strike of thunder blocks out the words.

Ever since Blue left, Cobie has been in a kind of slump. To him, it felt like his loneliness had heightened and it makes him scared because he doesn't understand why. The worst part of it all is the fact that every time he closes his eyes he sees the bright eyes of Alpha McStupid staring at him and even though it literally pains him to admit, he wished the Alpha had introduced himself properly so at least Cobie would know his name.

Cobie sighs and gets up from his seat and walks towards his window, his eyes following the trail of rain water rolling down the window. Lightning flashes, giving everything a soft pink glow. It's nights like this that makes Cobie wish he had someone who would hold him and tell him all will be well. Someone who would make him safe.

From the stereo playing, Bastille's World Gone Mad played, Dan Smith crooning so this is where we are, it's not where we had wanted to be. If half the world's gone mad, the other half just don't care, you see.

"I know talking to the sky doesn't really mean I'm talking to you, Pa," Cobie speaks softly as if the person he was talking to was right beside him. "but I miss you, Pa."

Cobie sighs again and walks away from the window. The TV was paused on the movie Wonder, Auggie's astronaut helmet filled out the screen. Dressed in a black jumper and grey jumper, Nike slides on his feet, he makes his way to the kitchen and flips on the kettle. He grabs his pack of tea and tosses one into a white mug and grabs the sugar as he waits for the water to heat up.

The song changes to Logic's Take it back, making Cobie bob his head as he raps along. He settles back onto the couch and continues his movie, pausing the song as he does so. The movie lasts for about an hour and thirty minutes, by the time it was done Cobie was a sobbing mess on his chair. He switches off the TV and sits in silence, letting the rumble of thunder be the only noise he could hear.

He gets up from the couch, his eyes going from brown to grey.

"Pa, please let them not find me. I'm tired of running." He silently prays as he flips off the light.

--

Friday comes like a thief in the night. The sun has been out and for the first time since he got here, Cobie feels hot. He's got a grey shirt on with a pair of black shorts. His contact lens were on, a pair of foldable shades in his pocket just in case there's a problem. He takes a cab from the front of his place and gives the cabbie the same address Gabriel had texted him a few hours ago.

As the drivers takes him to where he was to meet Gabriel, Cobie began to think. He wonders how many packs were in Astir, he thinks about Blue and wonders if he's eating well and if he's still in his wolf form or not. As the cab pulls to a stop at a red light, Cobie's eyes widened as he remembers the first time he had met Gabriel. Every one, like everyone, was staring at him.

Was he the only human in town?

He shakes his head in reply to his question. It can't be possible. Astir has a population of about sixty thousand, about the percent of it should be human. Cobie remembers checking the web results for news about Astir. Hell, it wasn't even listed as part of a werewolf community and he had heard the mayor is an Erik Tomlinson. Cobie hadn't had time to check Google images due to a couple of things so he wasn't sure what Erik Tomlinson looks like.