His Night

Marco

What the h—-?

I didn't intend to drag the kiss on longer than necessary - I just found that once we started, I couldn't stop.

I vaguely recall the hoots and applause we got or how we managed to get back in the car, board the elevators and end up in my room.

I just know that everytime one of us pulled back for air, the other one would close the gap and we would start kissing again.

Except that bringing her back to my room probably spooked her because I briefly went to the washroom, but when I got out, she was gone.

My first instinct was to head to her room and demand to see her, but I didn't want to spook her further. So, after I got myself to calm down, I called her.

I wasn't sure she'd pick up. But, she did after the seventh ring. "Hello?"

"Anna."

"H-hi."

"Are you okay?"

She exhaled. "Yes. I'm sorry - I just - what was that?!"

"A... kiss?" I said, chuckling uncomfortably. "I'm sorry I got carried away."

"No, no. It was both of us. It's just... unexpected. But I guess it's good."

"Huh?"

"I can't be a bad thing when you like kissing your husband, right?" She said, quietly.

"No, definitely not a bad thing," I agreed. "So, this means... more kisses in the future?"

"Marco!"

"What?! Masama ba yun? If we like kissing each other, why not keep doing it? Besides, we should be doing more nga... alam mo na honeymoon..." I was pushing it I knew.

"You're a jerk."

"Yeah, a bit. Matulog ka na nga," I said.

"Marco?"

"Yes?"

"I'm hungry, we haven't eaten."

*

She was already seated at the restaurant in the hotel for an early dinner when I arrived, and smiled shyly when she saw me approach. I have her a light buss on the cheek. "Hi, Misis."

Once we placed our orders, I turned to her, "Didn't you hate me a few years back?"

"I didn't 'hate' you. Hate is too strong a word. I just didn't think you were a nice person to me," she replied. "You were always very rude to me."

"Ha? Hindi kaya?"

"Oo kaya."

"When?"

She cringed. "Remember when I had just arrived in the city and you took me to lunch?"

"No, not really."

"Anyway, I hadn't gotten used to the accents of people there and when the waiter approached with water and said something, I didn't get it. When he left, you got mad at me and said he was asking me to taste the water. I told you I didn't understand what he said. Then, with the most incredulous look, you said to me, 'He asked you in English!'" She told me, copying what I assume to be was the expression on my face based on her memory - wide-eyed look and mocking. "There were other moments like that, when I felt like you were annoyed with my naïveté and I was making me feel bad so I kept my distance."