Back Home

Anna

The rest of our trip was spent indoors (obviously). Except for a few occasions -

Like when - He kept me up all night so I wasn't able to wake up on time for our planned trip to Antwerp. I woke up to an empty bed and a note that said, "Went out to pick up some stuff. Back soon. Your love, Marco"

Smug.

I was thankful that I didn't have to go because I was tired... and sore. I fell asleep again and woke up when I caught a whiff of the smell of food.

"Wake up, Sleepyhead," Marco whispered, placing kisses on my face. My favorite thing to wake up to.

"Where have you been?"

"Antwerp."

"Ha?! You went without me?" I pouted.

"You were knocked out. We have tomorrow pa naman to go back if you want. I just... wanted to get you something nice."

I looked at him questioningly. He handed me a blue rectangular box.  Opening it, I found a beautiful tennis bracelet. "Marco! It's beautiful. Thank you!"

"You're welcome. Let's eat? Late lunch na'to. Come on."

I stretched. "I'll shower first. Go ahead, eat na."

He followed my orders, except he didn't do it with food.

*

Luckily, we had one day free before we had to report to work when we arrived back in Manila. Marco brought up the project back in Belgium. "Anna, are you sure? I don't want you to feel obligated to stay."

"Don't tell me you're backing out of what we discussed?"

"No, it's not that. Ayoko lang mahirapan ka."

I rolled my eyes. "Wala pa nga eh. Am I complaining?"

"No."

"Yun naman pala eh. I know it's difficult and we'd both have to work hard for it, but you putting doubt in my head doesn't help." Peeved, I headed back to my room to unpack my stuff and put the others in the laundry.

"I'm worried," Marco said, standing by the doorway.

I looked at him, sighed and walked over, enveloping him in a hug. I pulled him to my bed and cradled his head in my lap. "I know. I am, too. Do you think I can run the business na? We'll have to work out pala a transition plan."

"Yes, I'm pretty sure you can do it. And my deputy can be trusted."

I nodded. "Alright. So, six months, huh?"

"Yes."

I put on a brave smile to hide my sadness because I didn't want him to worry further. But I was. What if we fell out of love? What if we didn't make it? What if he didn't come back to me?

"Trust me, okay?" He asked.

"Okay."

*

It was busy back at the office. While we couldn't tell people yet that Marco will be leaving, because we had to inform the Board first, we had to make plans so that transition will run smoothly. He gave recommendations on possible replacements whom I could trust. He had taught me enough but I was still not an engineer and there are matters that needed to be dealt with by someone who had such degree.

Add to that, the ice cream shop continues to cause strain to the resources of the company and a number of top management people have been recommending its sale or closure.

"Ma'am, kayo lang po yung mahihirapan if you keep it. Please consider closing it down," suggested one of the Finance Managers.

I was cooped up in the office the entire day running those numbers, trying to find additional funds. All I remember was that I was going to call for my secretary but the next thing I knew, all I could see was darkness.

*

"Are you sure she'll be okay, Doc? Maputla pa din siya eh," I heard Marco's worried voice and I groaned, struggling to open my eyes.

"Marco? Where am I?"

"ER. You passed out."

"Huh?"

He explained that Ruby, my secretary, heard a loud crash in my office and checked to investigate. That's when she saw me passed out on the floor. "We're extremely lucky you didn't hit your head on your desk or it would've been worse."

"I want to go home, Marco. I feel horrible," I complained.

"That's because you have bruises on your side. We'll go if the doctor clears you. We're waiting lang for the results of your blood test." Results showed that I needed sleep (Marco blushed at that) and need to eat (I skipped all my meals today), otherwise I was fine.

On the way home, Marco kept repeating, "Sleep ha? Sleep. Wag kang kalabit ng kalabit diyan."

"Excuse me! I do not 'kalabit' you! I just smile at you and the next thing I know you're on me. Besides, pwede naman kasi one round lang, but you always want a marathon."

"I didn't hear you complaining. You were begging pa nga for more eh."

We stared at each other, breathing heavily.

"Sleep."

Sleep lang tonight.

Boo.

*

Since that episode, Marco took it onto himself to make sure I ate on time. There would be times that he would even have his secretary drop off food in my office, or in meetings, if I forget

"Ma'am Anna, pinabibigay po ni Sir. He checked po your calendar, full schedule na naman daw po and you might forget to eat."

I smiled at her. "Thank you, Cara. But, please tell him to leave my calendar alone."

"Ay Ma'am, may love letter din po yan galing sa kanya," the secretary added.

Finding the note, I laughed out loud when I read it.

Anna -

Eat well so you get better. I don't want to just sleep tonight.

Marco

*

Later that night, I was staring at the spreadsheets I took home since Marco ended up having a dinner meeting for his move back to Brussels. I felt sad that it was starting to feel real.

In the coming days, we would be facing the Board and that is where we'd tell them, but before that we already scheduled a meeting with Uncle Santi and my mother.

He was excited, I could tell. In the moments when we weren't talking about work, he would tell me things he'd do as soon as he got back there.

"The weather! Namimiss ko talaga the cold. I can't wait!"

Or

"Ang daming good bars around my area there. We should've gone pala when we went. Kilala ko lahat ng bartenders dun."

Or

"Fast internet speeds! Traffic that's not so horrible! Balik na ako! Yessss!"

I tried to support him and everyday I make an effort to show how happy I am that he will be doing this, I just can't help but worry sometimes that he'd slowly forget about me.

There have been moments when I'm on the verge of saying "Maybe... Is it possible if you just stay here?"

But I never do.

He put his life on hold for a year for me. This time it was for him.

Even if it was starting to hurt me.