Long Distance

Marco

It feels like I hadn't stopped working since I landed back in Brussels. I had to deal with an issue on the delivery of materials for the office in Spain, then there was a structural concern with the ongoing project in Poland and numerous other administrative matters to be settled here. Before I knew it, five days had passed and I haven't even sent word to Anna.

To be honest, I completely forgot.

It wasn't until some downtime by the end of the week, when I was having lunch with a co-worker and he asked, "So, how was Vegas?"

I knew it was late in Manila, but I sent out a message anyway. Hi Anna!

Yup, that's all I got out.

Ding!

I checked my phone and saw that it was from Anna.

Nice to know you're alive.

I rubbed my nape. That message sure sounded like she was pissed. I typed in my reply: I'm really sorry. This week has been insane.

Shortly after that, her reply came through: Don't worry about it. I just pretended you were eaten by a whale and figured that signal in its tummy must suck.

Eaten by a whale? I laughed, that was rich. Ang random! Kakaiba talaga magisip itong babaeng ito.

"Marco?"

I looked up at my co-worker, Pietro. "Huh?"

"I asked how was Vegas."

"I met someone," I said smiling. "And I married her."

Pietro's jaw dropped. "No. You?" I nodded. "Mister, I-broke-up-with-my-girlfriend-because-she-assumed-we-would-share-a-room-on-our-trip? Married?"

I rolled my eyes. "Yes. Married. Since you're from Human Resources, could you let me know if there are any forms I need to update?" Looking at my phone, I noticed I hadn't yet replied to Anna. "Oh wait, let's do that later. She might get mad if I don't answer this."

"Yeah, yeah. I'll believe you're married when Facebook says so."

That made me think and I decided to bring it up with Anna. I called her. "Hey."

"Hey, Jonah. How was the whale's tummy?" She deadpanned.

"Papanindigan mo talaga yan?" I asked.

I heard her sigh into the phone. "You know, that's better for me to laugh at an image of you stuck inside a whale, rather than get annoyed that you were essentially missing for the past five days!"

"Uy, sorry na. Busy talaga. Hindi naman excuse yun," I explained.

"I know. I'm not saying you're making excuses or that you should give me one. But, it's annoying."

"Sorry na kasi. How about I make it up to you by making our wedding official on social media?"

"Huh?"

"Change my Facebook status to married?"

"I don't really care."

"Ows."

"Nope. I don't."

"Sige I'll post nalang 'Marco Torres is in an open relationship with Anna Cortez'."

"Huy! Ano ba. Not that, but no need to change your status either."

I was silent for a bit, but I didn't drop the topic. I needed to make it up to her and right now, this was the only one I could do. "O, sige. I won't change my status, but can I post a photo?"