Closing Time

Anna

"Cara!"

I called out as soon as I entered my office. I had two bouquets of flowers on my desk, two giant chocolate boxes, two cakes with the number two on it, and two gifts I wasn't sure what was in them.

"Yes, Ma'am Anna?"

"What is this mess?"

"Ma'am, utos po ni Sir Marco. 2nd wedding anniversary niyo daw po eh."

I checked the date. It was our second wedding anniversary. "Kailangan ba ikalat sa desk ko lahat nito?"

"Hindi naman po. Aayusin ko na po. Ito po yung letter ni Sir."

Opening the card, I saw what Marco wrote.

Anna

Two years ago, you chose me and took me along on this journey. I pray that I prove myself worthy enough for you to choose me again.

Your not so secret admirer,
Marco
(Sorry no brussel sprouts today)

It was 3am in Brussels, so I was surprised when my phone rang and it was him.

"You got my gifts?"

"Yes."

"Good. Sorry I can't fly in. May meeting kami eh. Pero sabi nung boss ko next month diyan na ako based para makapag-turnover."

"Okay."

"Anna, happy second anniversary!!!"

"We're separated."

"Kasal pa din. Happy anniversary!"

Note to self: call the lawyers today to check why this annulment is taking so long.

"Anna?"

"Why are you awake this early?"

"Nag-alarm lang so I could greet you as soon as you see my gifts."

"Hmmm okay. Tulog ka na."

"Busy day ba?"

"Yes."

Soon enough, we ended the call. I was purposely being robotic in my conversations with Marco, maybe he'll lose interest and just stop bugging me. But it was tough. Even if I was still unwilling to let him back in my life, I didn't like being impolite to anyone, but I had to do it. Guard your heart. Guard your heart. 

He hasn't been deterred. He just stopped with the flowers because I told him that I truly felt like he was wasting money, but the other gifts continued to arrive.

When Cara left, I attempted to read through the financials needs for today's meeting, but my eyes kept going back to the wrapped gifts. Giving up, I headed over to the spare desk where Cara placed the items.

I tore open the first package and found a gift certificate for a spa.

"Oh wow!" I was thrilled. I wanted a massage right now!

The second package contained a frame, with a card at the back, in his handwriting, that said: My Bliss.

Flipping it over, I found the photo he posted on Facebook years back, when we had just gotten married.

I took a photo of it, sent it to him and said, "I love it. Thank you."

*

"We need to make a decision on the shop, Anna." Uncle Santi dropped by my office to discuss this.