Making Memories

Marco

I'm a horrible husband - person - human being.

She never got mad at me, but sometimes I would catch her staring out into space and sighing. These days, there was also a sadness behind her smile and I know I caused it.

Finally, I had wrapped up all my meetings and it was time to focus on Anna. I woke early and ordered our breakfast, set it up on the table by our window and woke her up with kisses on her face. "Good morning, Partner!"

"Hmmm..."

"I have no more meetings na. I thought we could spend the day together? May gusto ka bang puntahan?"

She smiled but didn't open her eyes yet. She's always like this in the morning. Delaying opening her eyes in hopes that she can still get some more sleep. "Yes, please. I wanted to see Bruges again."

Bruges is a perfectly preserved medieval town north of Belgium, where I recall I had brought her before. "We've been there."

"I know," she said, finally opening her eyes and looking at me. "I remember it was one of those times that you were really nice to me and I had such a fun time walking around. I also want to cruise the canals again?"

I nodded. "Okay, get up na. I'll make arrangements."

*

A couple of hours later, we arrived at the city and started walking around as she wished. "It's still such a beautiful city," she commented.

When it was time for the canal cruise, I had a surprise for her. "This boat will only have us! I bought all the seats."

She laughed and gave me a kiss on the cheek. "So sweet. Thank you!" When we were settled in, I was cuddling her while we took in the sights.

"Partner, I have to confess."

"What?"

"This boat only carries six passengers at a time. It wasn't a big deal to buy all the seats really," I said, sheepishly.

She chuckled again. "I know. I still find it sweet and I like that it's just us."

After lunch, she asked if we could go to Antwerp. "Sorry, Marco. I don't want to head back to Brussels yet and I just want to look at some jewelry. Or tomorrow nalang?"

I checked the time and though we would make it to Antwerp while it was still early, I wasn't sure if the shops she wanted to go to would still be open and I wanted to make sure she had enough time to look before she selected what she wanted to purchase.

"How about we visit some of my friends in Ghent? Those you've met before? They have a get together tonight and have been inviting me."

"Really? Can I go?"

I am still amazed that after a year, she still assumes she's not invited to my stuff. I find it adorable and annoying. "Of course! There's videoke ha? They might ask you to sing."

"Ah... That's okay naman," she said, shyly.

I knew she could carry a tune. I've heard her sing around the house and her family tells me that she has a pleasant voice. But, other than those few times I catch her, and that time she sang in my ear, I've never really heard what her voice sounds like. "Can I request a song tonight?"

"Ha?"

I told her what I was previously thinking.

"It's nothing special naman kasi, Marco."