Living Together

Marco

My first week at our house was... strange. We had two helpers who lived with us and did most of the chores around the house. Anna's driver would just come in during the day and leave when he had dropped her off. Since we would be reporting to the same office on most days, we shared a driver for now.

The first morning at the house, I was disoriented when I woke up.

I found Anna at the breakfast table taking small bites of bread, while reading something. "Good morning," she greeted quietly, before turning back to her book. She was dressed for work, but her face was free of makeup.

Ito pala itsura nito, ang bata niya tingnan, I thought. I took a plate and filled it with some fruits... then wondered if I should sit with her. But I liked my mornings quiet. "Partner, sa garden ako magbebreakfast ha? See you later."

I wasn't due to report to the family's construction firm until the next week, so the day was free for me to settle in.

A few minutes later, Anna appeared, "Hey, I'll leave na para hindi ako ma-traffic. I'm... I'm sorry I didn't offer for you to join me kanina... I just... I like my mornings to be quiet."

I nodded in understanding. "Me too. How about we try being quiet together tomorrow?"

She smiled. "Monday nalang. It's Saturday tomorrow and I don't wake up early enough for breakfast during weekends. By the way, I left the company profile and latest financial statements on the coffee table. See you later!" She smiled again, waved and started to leave.

"Excuse me, Partner," I called out. When she turned back, I tapped my cheek, "You forgot something."

She rolled her eyes but walked back to where I was. "Pa-kiss ng pa-kiss hindi pa naman naliligo."

I laughed. "Ganyan talaga ang mag-asawa. Sorry ka nalang."

She bussed my cheek.

Of course, I protested. "Cheek to cheek? Ano yun? Dapat lip to cheek!"

"Dapat?! Dapat?!"

"Oo." Before I continued pestering her, I noticed her hand. "Why aren't you wearing your engagement ring?"

She looked down. "Every day ba sinusuot yun? My sister only wears hers on special occasions eh."

"Hmmm, pwede naman daily yata? Unless you'll go to a construction site."

"Hindi ko alam kung anong trip mo 'no? Pero sige, I'll wear it often. Just not today because I'm running late. I have to go na," she bent and kissed me again, the way I wanted.

"Bye Partner. What time ka uuwi?" I asked, falling into step with her. I decided last minute to bring her to the car.

"I have dinner plans with my best friends."

"Oh, okay."

"I shouldn't be too late but I won't have dinner here."

"Bakit di ka nagpaalam?"

"Bakit naman ako magpapaalam?"

"Wala lang. Nangiinis lang ako," I admitted. As she got in the car, I kissed her cheek. "Ingat ka."

She gave me a smile. "I will. Bye, Partner." She blew me a flying kiss and closed the door.

*

I spent most of the afternoon checking the house, what items we still lacked, possible improvements. I also checked out the individual spaces we had at the basement. Anna's side had some of her stuff already - laptop, books, speakers - while mine remained empty. My other items from abroad were bound to arrive in the coming days, so for now, I had the bare minimum in items.