The Firm

Anna

The day after meeting my parents and his mom and sister, we went to look at one of the properties Marco had shortlisted for us.

We agreed to rent out my condominium unit, and get a house in the South. That way travelling daily to work at the firm won't be too burdensome, and the weekends with friends in Manila is still feasible.

"Sir, this is unique in that there is a second master's bedroom," the broker informed us.

The split level house had high cieling, let in a lot of light and had huge windows, and a backyard. All of which I loved.

"What do you think?" Marco asked.

"I like it, do you?"

"Not so much," he chuckled. "I don't like those windows, ang hirap linisin niyan ha."

"But... yeah. That's true. Let's find another one?"

"Do you like it that much? Kasi sayo din naman maiiwan to if ever. Your opinion matters more than mine."

I hated that he had to remind me everytime how temporary everything was, but I appreciated his consideration. "Yes. Sana. I like how it's built and I love the location."

We got the house.

Bonus was that it was already fully furnished so all we had to do was just move in.

That night, back at the hotel, I told him my mom had arranged for the family to get together that weekend. "When's your flight back to Belgium?"

"Next Tuesday and I'll be there for two weeks," he replied, barely looking at me. He was focused on something on this laptop, so I went in my room, which was adjacent to his, and read a book.

I abruptly awakened around midnight to realize that I haven't eaten. I called his room. "Hey, we didn't have dinner. I'll call room service, do you want anything?"

"Hmmm?" He grumbled, sleepily. "Ah I ate kanina."

"Huh? Why did you tell me?"

"Forgot. Tawag ka nalang sa room service. 'Night."

Then, he dropped the call.

Wow. Sweet.

"Fake marriage, Anna. Fake. Wag kang mag-expect. Hindi niya kailangan maging sweet sa'yo. Problema mo yan na hindi ka kumain," I muttered to myself, while I dialed.

Still, I couldn't help but feel bad and that I wanted to get back at him. So, I ate breakfast early and left him.

We crossed paths as I was headed back.

"Did you have breakfast na?" He asked.

I gloated. "Yes. Sorry hindi na kita naisip."

He waved me off. "It's fine. Kain muna ako."

Then, he disappeared in the direction of the elevators, leaving me to stomp going inside my room. "Yun lang? Okay lang?! Iniwan kita huy! Hmph. Haaaaay!"