Prom

I was really pressed for time when I got home, but fortunately I didn't have much to do since I'd showered and all before going to the salon, just makeup and a trace of perfume. I'd already packed my handbag. And fortunately, I wasn't planning on wearing a lot of makeup because it makes me break out if I use a lot of foundation. I did take the time to put my new styling products in the half bath where I quickly took care of my face, then back to my bedroom where, a little self-consciously, I changed to an upscale pair of panties just to feel completely special, then buckled the straps of my shoes around my ankles. I took the dress out of the bag and slid it on, zipping it up and buttoning the collar. I put the ring on my middle finger, and spent some time kind of swishing the skirt and wishing for the full length mirror I used to have. I heard voices and figured that Grandpa was here, so I dabbed the perfume carefully, made sure the skirt wasn't accidentally stuck in my panties, put the lip gloss back into the clutch, and picked up the shawl. It was warm now but the evening was supposed to be cool and rather moist as another change in weather rolled in. So yeah, I don't know how much good a lace shawl would actually do, but no way was I going to wear a jacket.

"Oh, honey," my mom said. Her hand was pressed to her lips as she looked at me. "You look so beautiful, especially your hair."

"You're not so little anymore," my dad said regretfully. Oh, so many comebacks to that. But this was going to be a fun night for me, so I just settled for thanks.

"Your friend is going to be the envy of your classmates," Grandpa said. "Pictures!" I didn't say a word about being positioned for pictures because it was the first time in a long time that anybody'd been interested enough to make the effort. Then there was a knock on the door, and John was there in a nice black suit with a beautiful violet silk tie.

"Wow, Leia," he said, a little breathlessly, and my ego burst out into song and dance. I smiled.

"I like your tie," I said, and invited him in. My family greeted him and I pinned his boutonniere to his lapel. He smiled as he looked at it.

"This is for you," he said, handing me a clear plastic box. Inside was a wrist corsage with two delicate orchids, dainty baby's breath here and there, and elegant greens, held on the wrist with two stretch pearl bead bracelets.

"So pretty! Thank you, John."

"You said your dress was blue, but then I realized that that covers a lot of ground and I wasn't sure. So I figured that white flowers would go with anything." I smiled. Then there were more pictures, some with the cameras on our phones too, and my brother came in. Dang. So close. He grunted when he saw us.

"Hey, Starry," John said pleasantly. My brother nodded and went down the hall. I took that as our getaway sign and eased toward the door.

"Have fun," my mother said, and John held the door for me. We went out to his car; Ford had given him an EcoBoost Mustang in a gorgeous dark red.

"Wish they'd given me one of the hybids," he said as he held the door for me. "But you can't deny the coolness factor of a Mustang."

"It is gorgeous," I said. "Powerful, like your skating, so it fits."

"I try to be cool about it," he said, settling into the drivers seat, "but it is so much fun to drive. It's a manual. Dad told me that paying any speeding tickets are my responsibility, and that if I get too many, they'll take it away, sponsorship gift or no." He sighed. "Maybe I'll get just one this summer. Take it out on the highway."

"Speeding tickets are like potato chips, you can't stop at one," I said, kidding around.

"How many have you gotten?" he asked as we pulled out of the parking lot.