Recovery

After the RA and Mr West left, we were kind of stuck. We didn't have anything to do and our phones were losing power. We decided to do a little more shopping and get a few things, like chargers for the phones. An extra there is never a bad idea, anyway. We collected ourselves--not hard to do-and had stood up to leave when there was a knock on the door. It was John, and he had something for us. An ice chest.

"A guy on my hall throws the world's best tailgate parties," he said. "He's going home for spring break and said I could borrow this. It doesn't need ice, you can plug it in with this adapter and it can even keep things frozen. This way you can keep up your diet Coke habit, Leia," he teased me, and I grinned and hugged him.

"Thank you for thinking about us, John," I said, and he gave me a squeeze before letting me go.

"What are friends for?"  he said breezily. "You guys have enough to deal with without having to do it uncaffeinated." We all laughed but it was true, and I updated him about what Mr West had said while Serafina plugged it into the other bedroom of the suite. It was kind of a gray area as far as approved appliances, but most of the dorms were leaving for the break so the power draw couldn't be that much of a concern. And it should be for less than a week anyway. Yes, I rationalized.

"We're going to go to dinner, then we've got to do a little shopping," Serafina said. "After which, I have to call my parents, and it'll make matters worse if my phone dies during the conversation.  Do you want to come with us?"  He did, and we had tacos before going back to Target. "We should get a frequent shopper discount," she joked as we went in. We got the charging cords, a few other things we'd forgotten, a couple of games to keep busy, I got a blanket since my  comforter was at the cleaners, then we got some diet Coke, snacks, and Pop Tarts and granola bars for breakfasts. Back at the dorm, John helped us lug the stuff in.

"If you get bored, come over to my hall," he said. "Bring your games or we can watch tv or movies or something." After he left, we puttered around, me fixing my bed, Serafina organizing the snacks and putting cans of soda in the cooler until she couldn't put it off any farther and called her parents. It had been a long and freaky day and I called Grandpa, wanting the comfort that talking to him would give.

'My word, Delia," he managed to say after a moment of silence. "Is your roommate going to be ok? Are you all right? You would tell me if you weren't wouldn't you?"

I felt tears sting my eyes at his concern. "I am ok, Grandpa, Serafina will be fine too, she was checked out of the hospital. I'm mostly just angry and tired and upset.  I jut wanted to talk to you. I always feel better after we do."

"Oh, punkin," he said. "I wish you were here so you could cuddle one of the cats. Purr and fur therapy works wonders."

"For the first time, I wish I was closer," I admitted. "But I'll be better after a good night's sleep. John invited us over to his hall to play games or watch tv or a movie or something. I think I'll go. I don't want to sit here all night with nothing to do but brood."

"He's a good kid," Grandpa agreed. "Will you be able to go to Disneyland as you'd planned?"

"Yeah," I said. "Our tickets were the kind you print yourself, so they're not stuck in out room. We can print them out on campus."

"Good, punkin. If you need anything, let me know." And after that, we talked about other things and I felt better, if a little homesick, and wishing that I'd gone home for break a little.

When I got off the phone, Serafina was still trying to reassure her parents that she was ok. I motioned to the phone. "Hello, Mr and Mrs Maradona? It's Delia."