Summertime

Stan was back shortly, Mikhal in tow. And Ekaterin, and Krista. "Delia!" Krista said, smiling broadly. "I didn't know you were back yet!" I came around the counter for a hug.

"Not quite a week yet. It's good to be back," I said.

"Chat later," MIkhal directed, and John hit play again. Partway through, Mikhal and Ekaterin started shooting Russian at each other. "Would the composer be open to working on this a bit to modify?" Arthur wasn't in love with his work and he wanted the exposure that his music being played internationally would bring him.

"I'm sure he'll work with you if you commit to using it. There are a couple places where it would need to be intensified for dramatic effect for some jumps," I said. He smiled. "I told him that and he was fine with it. I'll give you his contact information."

As I printed the information on the back of the rink's business card, Mikhal patted my brother on the shoulder. "You're lucky that your sister is looking out for you. This is a better option than the others we were considering. You've left your music selection too long and you're pushing it, again."

"We can use your improved footwork," Ekaterine said to Stan, smiling at me. "It will showcase your personality well and appeal to the audience."

Todd and Nancy edged forward as Mikhal towed my brother back to his office, Ekaterin opening the door for them. "Hey, do you know any other musicians?" Nancy asked me. "Because we were looking for something kind of neo-classical for next year. Unlike your brother, we're thinking ahead."  I thought about it.

"I met some people through Arthur," I said slowly. "I don't have phone numbers but I could give you their school emails. They'll still be checking that until grades come out, at least." There were two people, graduating this summer, who wrote the kind of music they liked, and I put their information on the back of another card.  They thanked me and left, Todd telling me that he'd call me later. "What?" I asked John, who was looking at me funny.

"I'm just surprised that you're still friends with your ex and willing to do him a favor," he said.

"There are reasons I liked him beyond his magic penis," I explained reasonably. "And he used to play me this beautiful music that he composed. It would be nice if other people got to hear it too." John flushed, but whatever he was going to say was interrupted by a new group of skaters, kids and their parents.

Krista had drifted away as we sorted out the skaters, but came back and wanted to catch up over lunch, so I got my purse and I took an early lunch. "What did you tell John that got him all discombobulated?" she asked curiously as we looked at the menus.

"He's surprised that I'd be willing to do my ex a good turn," I shrugged, and chose the French onion soup. It was a little nippy that day, and I'd be a little concerned about Paul's cookout, but the Tangs had patio heaters. "So I said that there were several reasons that I'd been with him."

"I thought you guys were going to get back together," she said. So I explained. I was getting a real patter down. "Well, if you're sure he's not just stringing you along... I don't think he'd do that to consciously, but you do represent a safety net." Then she changed the subject and I asked her questions about work and her boyfriend; things were going well for her in both categories.

"Marc's probably not going to say anything to you about it, but his girlfriend really did a number on him," she said, switching topics abruptly. "He thought things were fine; a week before, the were even talking about buying a house together," she said seriously. "Then one day he got a text--not even a phone call!--that she'd accepted a job in Miami. And she'd upped and moved out of her apartment before he got off work. Didn't even get his key back from him. Left hers to his apartment in an envelope on the door. Didn't even bother to open the door and place it inside." She shook her head. "I'd kill the bitch if she was still around for treating him like that. I know what a good person you are, I just wanted to make you aware of the circumstances. Emotionally, forget scarring, he's not even scabbed over yet and he's still probably bleeding inside. He's going out to St Louis to look at some skaters, but I wouldn't be surprised if he's evaluating whether he could make a new start there.," she said softly as we were served. I stared at her in dismay.