The Programs

"So how's drill team practice going?" Cass asked later in the week.

"I think tryouts were the easy part," I said. "We're learning routines for everything, including warmups and stretching. It's to help us with unison, move as one, get used to counting. We may not be a competition team, but Kara, the choreographer, says that's no excuse to be sloppy." I sighed. "Lots of marching in straight rows with precise spacing so far. We've got to learn that for the parade along with routines for a couple of songs that the band plays--We Will Rock You and a couple of Beach Boys songs-- and the routine we do with the school fight song. We're practicing in the parking lot so that we can get used to marching on the pavement. It's a lot harder than the gym or the football field. And we have the music for the routines we're going to do through fall semester; we're supposed to listen to them as much as possible, not just to increase familiarity with the music--and it's all classic popular music, so yeah--but so that perhaps we'll hear new things or isolate different instruments. And they're supposed to get faster as we get better. And we're supposed to smile throughout the practice and performance and be setting team goals and personal goals." I paused. "I didn't realize how lazy I am. If I'd known that smiling and goal setting were part of the requirements, I might not have tried out." The girls broke out into laughter.

"Yeah, the smiling, that's all the work here," Keshondra said mockingly.

Truthfully, although it was really basic just now in the first week, I was enjoying it and usually didn't have to work on the smile. Being part of a group that, while we weren't in perfect agreement about everything, there wasn't infighting or cliques, was friendly and cohesive, all of us working toward the same goals and wanting to have fun along the way. It was a really unique experience. People were always happy to see me. Nobody, aside from my friends and Grandpa, was ever that thrilled to see me. I worked just a little bit harder each practice as a result.

"I think I'm going to have the high kicks by the parade," I said with satisfaction. There were a few girls who probably wouldn't, and I felt bad for them. They were stuck in the middle of the lines in the center of the group where it wouldn't be as noticeable. I was conscientious about my stretching. "In a couple of weeks, we'll be practicing with the marching band--apparently we march in front of them--for two weeks, then it's the parade. This is going to be a really big year for our marching band; they're going to the Rose Parade."

"The parade is fun to watch," Zayna said. "It's a Duke's Crossing tradition. We'll all be there and we'll be watching for you."

"You've got fans," Cass beamed, and I smiled back.

This summer, only a week old, was shaping up to be better than all my other summers combined. I had things to do with my friends, a good job, and the drill team, so I was busy, engaged, and having fun. Our optional gear had arrived and it had been handed out. I felt like I belonged when I put on one of my tops and dance shorts. I was a little surprised at how much anticipation I had for getting my pom poms.

Our uniforms, shoes, and pompoms arrived early, and Coach wouldn't give them out until the end of practice. "Shake out the pompoms to fluff them out," she instructed, and we all eagerly grabbed the handles and shook enthusiastically. We were told to try on the uniforms that night to make sure they fit, not too tight or too loose, and bring them back in the morning if there was a problem. I went right home and tried them on. My brother was up at the rink and my parents were at work, so I didn't have to worry about jeers for my hobby or cluelessness. I checked out the look in the big bathroom mirror, then got my pom poms and waved them around. I took a few selfies to show my friends. I couldn't believe my appearance. I actually looked like I belonged. The two uniforms looked good and nothing was too scratchy or irritating, like a lump on a seam. The fabric was a variety of artificial fabrics, and was textured, like the mesh on the arms and shoulders of one dress, but that's the nature of the beast. I hurried up and got ready for work so I could stop by the park and show the friends who would probably be there--Zayna and Carol, probably, their work didn't start until the afternoons.