The meeting

I went with the family to the event at the rink, chatting with John and Paul, catching up with Todd, and lacing up some skates to take a spin around the ice. To my surprise, Ms Abelard joined me. "I'm sorry to hear what happened at your school," she said, tying the lace of one of her skates. "I'm glad nobody was seriously hurt."

"That makes a bunch of us," I said, and she nodded.

"It sounds like otherwise you've had a good semester," she said, and I nodded.

"Yeah, it's been fun and I was chosen to be the student council vice president after the elected one moved, so that's good too."

"It sounds like things are looking up for you." We got on the ice.

"Yep. And actually, I'm glad to have this opportunity to talk to you," I said. "I'm willing to cooperate with whatever plans you've got, but I want something in return."

"Oh?" she asked warily.

"Relax, it's nothing that should be too taxing. Simply, first, I would like an affirmation that you have the power to make my request happen. Second, what I want is just a sincere effort by the association to help my brother transition into a different career when he's done with his amateur skating. I don't expect you guys to get him a job, just open some doors to job opportunities.  Third, this agreement would not be made known to my brother and you'd record a brief statement as proof. And in return, I will do whatever is asked of me for the Olympics, as long as it's not immoral or illegal. And I will be the best little sister I can possibly be. My grandpa is taking me to the Olympics, so our whole family will be there."

"Well," she said, sounding startled. I gave her some time to think about it. "Well," she said again after a few moments, "I can agree to that as long as it's understood that I can't make anybody give him a job." I nodded.

"He's got to make an effort too," I said.

"Ok, then, I accept your offer. Your participation will make everybody happy and in the long run, it's not much to be asking, especially as Starry has and probably will continue to put such a good face on the sport. There are strings I can pull." I smiled, and, looking like I was showing her some pictures on my phone, got the voice memo recorded. Then she did want to see some pictures that I'd taken, and additionally, I had some pics that friends had taken of me during drill team performances and sent to me. "This will be great," she said. "Handsome national and world champion, lovely and talented sister who is also friends with his main rival and his little brother." She shot me a look. "Would you have participated if I hadn't agreed?"

"I might have agreed to a little bit," I said honestly. "But Starry said he wasn't going to ask me to do it if I didn't want to."

At this point, my brother skated up and looked from me to her. "Hi, Sally," he said. "How are things going?" he asked me.

"Ms Abelard was just describing things that I would be asked to do as part of your personal profile for the Olympics," I said.

"Just a package of interviews with the network and authorization for them to film her reactions after the programs," she said briskly. "I'm very pleased that she's agreed to help out. Those 'getting to know the athlete' interviews always work better with family cooperation."

"You didn't push her, did you?" he asked Ms Abelard, and looked at me. "Because I told her not to do it if she would prefer not to, and I'm behind her if she'd rather not."

"No, it's fine," I reassured him.

"We can even get things scheduled during Delia's Christmas break, for her convenience," Ms Abelard added.