And what comes after that

When I got home, I saw that Dad's car was in the driveway. I pulled a face and debated not going in, which is something I could do if I were still living at the condo, but Grandpa had expectations. Plus, I'd have to face them sooner or later, so I reluctantly parked and went in.

My parents were sitting on the couch and Grandpa was in the recliner, Shuri on his lap. "Hey, punkin, how was work?" he asked. I gave him a kiss on the cheek and leaned against the wall.

"Nice and quiet, just the way I like it," I said. "I watched Stan. Man, he's come so far this year."

"He has," Grandpa agreed. "So your parents are here to find out how long you intend to stay here."

"Til I go to college," I said briefly.

"That's ridiculous, Delphinia," Mom said. "You need to come home now. I realize that you were emotional following yesterday's disappointment, but we can figure something out. So the college you wanted didn't work out, but there are alternatives."

I looked at Grandpa and realized he hadn't told them. "There's nothing to figure out," I said concisely. "I have four more schools to hear from, but I've already been accepted at UCLA and the department chair there called me up during independent study to speak to me and tell me about what I could expect if I accepted their offer. It was really nice to talk to him. I don't think he calls all newly admitted applicants. He had some good advice for me."

"UCLA?" Dad said. It would have been funny if I hadn't been so offended by the incredulous tone of his voice.

"Yep. Did you even look at my grades or anything?" I inquired coolly. "Because you wouldn't be so surprised if you'd ever paid attention. I'm not in the top ten of my class for nothing." I was finally learning to be proud of my work. Grandpa smiled at me supportively. My parents looked at each other.

"Delia--" Mom tried.

"No. I'm staying here. My guidance counselor said that this sounded like a more stable environment." I'd stopped by to update her.

Grandpa nodded. "She called me to discuss it," he confirmed. "She's been worried about Delia, but the level of neglect she's experienced really isn't enough to warrant talking to the police about; she's legally obligated to report suspected child abuse or serious neglect." My parents looked horrified. "My advice, Jane, Greg, is to let Delia make her own choice. I will say that if necessary, I will get a lawyer and Delia can explore her options, such as emancipation."

And that kicked up a dust storm, but we simply waited it out. Finally they realized that nothing was going to change, and Dad said, "You can come back if you want to, Delia," and they got up. Whew. I still had class tomorrow and I wanted to relax before going to bed. "Congratulations on UCLA." He sounded a little strangled.

"Yes, congratulations," Mom said, and they stood awkwardly a moment before Grandpa got up, set the cat down, and showed them to the door.

I hugged him when he came by again. "Thanks, Grandpa."

"You've given them every opportunity to be better parents and they haven't taken advantage of it," he said, hugging me back. "More opportunities than perhaps they deserved. So I meant what I said. I'm extremely disappointed in my daughter. She has her own share of responsibility, no matter how much I'd like to blame it all on Greg. I really hate his parents, but I thought he was better than that."

I slept better that night and was pretty cheerful the next day. I got to school early and did a change of address form for the post office as well as changing my address at the remaining universities and bank. I didn't get a lot of mail. I'd have to swing by the condo and check the mail for my UCLA welcome packet.