Chapter 5

A few of my interns were now making it rather obvious about their curiosity for my lack of work this morning

A few of my interns were now making it rather obvious about their curiosity for my lack of work this morning. I spotted a couple of them peering past my open office door, halting just for a second as to remain inconspicuous, which they were sadly failing at.

They had every reason to throw questioning glances my way as my eyes had not yet stretched as far as the door, remaining locked instead on the sheen film magazine laid out in front of me.

I had spent an embarrassing amount of time re-reading the article, pretending that what I was reading was just simply that of celebrity gossip.

"Sierra." My voice was strained yet stern as I called out to where she was sat only a few metres from the door at her desk.

She sauntered over to the door with a lack of inclination, being just about done with the day as I was. "Have you finished doing nothing yet?"

I shook my head with an unconvincing smile. "I've been working extremely hard," she scoffed when I finally stood up, "anyway, what are you doing for lunch? I need to get out of here."

"Are you sure you want to leave the comfort of your office chair? I'm sure you've been there so long, it's looking to get to third base."

"Hilarious," I sent her another feigned smile to which she eventually caught on that something was not quite right. I rolled up the magazine and stuffed it into my bag before moving forward and collecting Sierra's arm with my own.

"Is everything ok?" She kept her voice at a hushed whisper as we exited the packed lunch rush in the elevator and reached to where Heidi was still being her usual, displeasing self.

I ensured that we were out of her sight and hearing range and more importantly, out of the building before I pulled out the rolled up magazine from my bag. I placed it into Sierra's hands as we made our way to our favourite sandwich place across the street.

"I don't get it, what am I looking at?"

She began flicking through the various pages, clueless as to what I was referring to.

It was at that moment when I could recall only telling Sierra about my ex and that his name was Josh. Little much more was spoke about on the matter, given the rawness of our breakup at the time. She also knew that very same ex was Riley's father.

We stepped up to the lunch line and waited patiently while Sierra continued her incessant flicking through the pages. She finally turned to me again with furrowed brows, searching for an answer.

"I'm sorry, my head is just all over the place and seeing this has just—"

"Seeing what?" She looked down again, "am I missing something here?"

I made sure that we were whispering again in order to keep the conversation between ourselves when I would tell her about Josh and about my very extensive history with him.