Chapter 26

Joshua Parker

Joshua Parker

Last night was the truest definition of awkward, given that I had spent a good portion of my night pretending that my ex-girlfriend and also the mother of my child, was simply a stranger that I only knew on the basis of a report she was writing on me.

At one point, my hand brushed closely against her thigh, igniting the familiar warmth of her bare skin against mine, a feeling I remember so faintly and yet so intensely all at once.

She was just as affected as I was.

I watched as her eyes widened before she shuffled uncomfortably in her seat, subconsciously moving away from where I was.

That hurt.

Madison and obviously, Nathan were still none the wiser, simply believing that Savannah and I were truly strangers to one another. And yet the extensive history we shared was enough to write a book on.

"You're going out?" Madison's voice called from the couch, a place I rarely saw her in that she spent most of her time either out with friends or skipping between jobs with her overly crowded schedule.

I was currently making my way towards the elevators of our apartment when she called out. It was a Sunday morning and I'd just showered after coming home from my run around central park. Usually, I'd spend the day running errands or lounging around the apartment without anything to do. But today was different than usual.

"Yeah, Harvey wants me to help him on a job." I lied.

"He's working today?"

"He works everyday."

Harvey was a freelancer, picking up jobs here and there, and yet earning more money than I could possibly imagine with no promise of a flowing income. We'd managed to stay close through everything, always confiding in each other when we had the time, and of course Tyler too over the various video calls we could manage. The three of us were still just as close as we were in high school, except the physical and sometimes work load distance meant that meeting regularly was virtually impossible.

Madison smiled to me before tapping her lips feverishly. As much as it pained me to think, the thought of kissing her before doing what I was about to do, felt repulsive. I was lying to her about the most important thing in my life and yet I still lacked the guts to tell her.

I quickly stepped over and leaned down to press a chaste kiss to her lips, unwilling myself to look her in the eyes before smiling and turning back to escape through the elevator exit again. "I'll see you later tonight."

"See you tonight honey."

And that was that. She continued to naively believe that nothing was different in my life, and yet the most important person to me was now waiting to see me again.