Chapter 36

"Are you sure you won't miss me too much?" I whispered with a smile as I pressed my back into the warm body behind me, providing my morning comfort in knowing that I didn't need to get Riley up this morning

Nathan wrapped a familiar yet warm arm around my waist, pulling me closer and drawing a breath past my ear. "I'll try not to."

"Are you sure you can't come? I can already tell my mom will love you."

"Maybe since I haven't met Riley yet, it would be weird for me to meet your parents before that happens."

"I know," I began playing with his hands, notably the silver ring around his pinky finger, "I just don't want to rush things with her, you know? She only met Josh a few months ago."

"And I completely respect that," he kissed my nose, "my dad wants me to join him for thanksgiving this year anyway, keeps telling me he doesn't have many left."

"Patrick is just as dramatic as I remember then," I laughed and pressed my body back against his. "But it's only a week," I paused for just a moment before looking back into his eyes, contemplating what I should've done weeks ago, "as soon as we're back in the city, I want you to meet Riley, properly, and this time, as my boyfriend."

"I like hearing that; boyfriend."

"I can call you a friend if you'd prefer—"

He quickly snaked his arms around my body and lifted his on top of mine, hovering just above me and peppering kisses to my neck. "I'm anything but a friend at this point, Savannah."

His body engulfed mine with a tirade of butterflies entering my stomach, only to be very abruptly interrupted by harsh knocking on my apartment door. I wrestled my eyes open again and accepted the reality that our morning was cut short by slipping out of the bed and quickly changing into a pair of sweatpants and a hoodie.

"Be right back," I smiled into a kiss against Nathan's lips before slipping out of the door, making my way towards the intruder.

Upon opening the door, however, my heart well and truly stopped with seeing Josh, holding onto Riley in his arms. I paused, my mouth dropping open slightly until realising why he was here much earlier than planned.

"You forgot, didn't you?" Josh grinned as Riley reached over for me to pull her into my arms.

"I didn't forget," I lifted Riley from him and cuddled her tightly, "time just slipped away from us. Hi sweetie!"

"Us?"

Josh stepped into the apartment, shoving Riley's bag from his shoulder and pulling his own suitcase in behind him.

Josh and I had changed our flights to earlier today rather than this evening for going home, mostly as to keep Riley's sleep schedule on track and to see both our families before thanksgiving tomorrow.