Chapter 20

I'd known that this was an awful idea the moment that I stepped out of Nathan's car over an hour ago now

My mind traced back to the point in time that I had sadly agreed to Nathan's second invitation to an event for me as his plus one. The first had been Josh's engagement party, which was an easy and immediate refusal due to the very fact that watching my ex-boyfriend commemorate his everlasting love with another woman was not a party I had been too keen on attending.

On the other hand, tonight's event was rather last minute and had very little to do with Josh's current relationship endeavours.

Instead, Nathan had been invited to the official celebration of the merger between Josh and Luke Hunt, creating the newly established name, 'Hunt and Parker Industries'.

They'd previously planned to pay homage to their new merger with the release of our Exposition article, yet with newly found confidence, they'd decided to go forward with the party nonetheless, yet still with an ongoing attempt to dish out what they could on the article itself.

Despite that fact, it was truly mesmerising that I was able to agree on going, given that it wiped out any previous plans of a night in at Nathan's that was once arranged by the both of us during a rather heated and passionate exchange at work.

It was the very same night that Riley had been looking forward to all week, her first playdate and sleepover, which despite giving me a night off, made me all that much more anxious. I kept my phone close by and on loud in my purse, ensuring that if there were to be a phone call for her, I'd be quick to answer on the very first ring.

"You look nervous," Nathan whispered down with his hand pressed against my back, enabling his thumb to rub circles in its position. "I can try to stop Luke and Josh from asking you about the article if that's what you're most worried about."

"I'm not worried, it's just been a while since I've been out, dressed like this."

"Well, you look incredibly beautiful so you have nothing to worry about." I let my cheeks redden as I looked down to what I was currently wearing.

The dress was long, rather a gown than a dress, yet there seemed to be an allusion of modernity with the clean slit up one of the legs. It was a stunning red colour, the top half being a little less risqué with a square neck appearance and thin straps. There was a little more to the imagination than what could be seen from some of the women walking around, most likely imposed on catching the attention of the bachelor businessmen this event seemed to attract.

Nathan led us through to the main hall where the event was being held. A hotel was rented out for it specifically, allowing the large assembly room to be occupied by many dining tables and an area for light conversation and business endeavours. A stage was also positioned at the very forefront of the dining place, giving way to what I would assume to be an announcement and various thank yous by both Luke and Josh themselves.