Chapter 9

I could feel Sierra's apprehensive leg shaking beside me in the taxi

I could feel Sierra's apprehensive leg shaking beside me in the taxi. Her fingers were wrestling with a fidgeting I could only guess to be holding back her words.

Lionel was completely oblivious, like usual, and instead, drinking delicately from his take-out coffee cup, humming a tune I was starting to find moderately annoying. His trepidation for the upcoming interview was obvious, similarly to how I used to be when starting out as an intern.

"Did you manage to grab what you needed before we left?" Lionel questioned with unrecognised spirit, unable to sense the configured scrutiny I was already feeling beneath Sierra's gaze.

"I did." I gazed out of the window as the silence settled back in around us, one I wanted to break again, "I'm happy for you both to take the lead on this one. You're plenty capable by now."

"Did you have much to find in your office before you left? Or did you need help in locating them?" Sierra whispered with a grin, knowing that my previous excuse to Lionel was somehow now inclusive to Nathan appearing in my office.

As discreetly as I could manage, I stubbed the front of my shoe onto Sierra's foot in an attempt to forgo her unwarranted innuendos. "I found everything I needed," I tapped my bag by my feet, one very much empty of anything I might've needed, "and I didn't require any help at all."

Lionel continued to stare absentmindedly out of the window, oblivious to the hinting behind Sierra's words. I payed a reminder to myself to tell her about what happened upstairs with Nathan, mostly in an attempt to halt her playful references with other interns around.

"Is this the place?" Lionel's gaze followed to the large structure clouding over the side of the taxi. Despite the bright skies and sun beaming down over the city, there seemed to hold a dark ambience of white collar dominance over an otherwise tall and contrasting building.

I guessed that happened to be one of the many reasons why Exposition was so intrigued with reporting on Hunt industries. Rumours and gossip were furiously spread throughout the inner workings of the company and yet not so many sources were able to find out any concrete truth to them. After all, a rumour starts from somewhere.

However, despite our claimed neutrality in our work of writing, we as a reporting agency were always searching for a story to grab reader's attention. Why otherwise would we have become so successful?

The supposed merge of Hunt industries with another well-versed company was what eventually gave me the way in. Sending an email that we wanted to report on their newest success created an all-too-perfect opportunity of worming our way into finding out more.

"This is it."

We split the taxi fare between the three of us, making the expenditure rather minor despite the fact that the money would go straight back into our accounts with the travel claims for Exposition.