Chapter 12

Darkness suddenly swept over the office floor as I recognised Mrs Chowdry's prompt lights off rule once she'd finished the evening clean

I was the one of the only remaining workers left in the building yet I seemed to be hiding myself away from the outside instead of working like I should have been.

Rather than taking the chance for my life to continue as planned, I had been re-reading the last text message I received on my phone for the last few hours, wishing and pleading for it not to be real.

April was taking care of Riley this evening while I sinfully pretended that I was extremely behind on work, which I was, and needed to finish up before the deadline tomorrow morning. She undoubtedly agreed, thankfully being more than happy to spend a few hours with her god-daughter, ranging from the time picking her up from pre-k to playing with her up at my apartment.

My phone began darkening with the time spent lit up, causing my tired fingers to press the screen once again, brightening up the words in front of me, the very same ones that were now embedded into my mind.

Maybe: Josh Parker - Received at 16:07
Hey, I know you probably won't want to talk to me or have anything to do with me especially after today, but please meet me this Saturday at 12pm in battery park to talk, meet me at the view we used to love

His turn of phrase was anything but riddling, giving little to no leeway in terms of my own confusion at his request. It was all laid out in front of me - the time, the place, the person, and yet somehow, my mind still raked the possibilities of what the conversation would entail.

There was nothing to be said between us, as I so rightfully told him already. And Riley's presence and significance was still very much out of the question in the possibilities for conversation starters. I would simply ignore his invite, opting to spend quality time with my daughter rather than with the man that I wanted to create as much a distance from as I could manage.

After a continued and embarrassingly prolonged time staring absentmindedly at my phone screen, I finally dusted everything back into my bag and eventually locked up my office. The floor was as empty as ever, giving me the need to tip-toe through it, recognising only Mrs Chowdry packing away her cleaning supplies.

She sent me a warm smile, holding up her small, elderly hand to wave. "Good night, Miss James." I waved back with what could only constitute as a half smile.

The elevator was equally as quiet, the music having been silenced until morning for the sake of people working into the night. I could be sure that nobody wanted to hear the instrumental rendition of California girls while sadly eating leftover food over an unfinished article in the back offices.