Chapter 33

The sense of familiarity and warmth settled in my chest when we finally found ourselves out on top of a beautiful rooftop bar

It was as if we'd stepped back in time, entering the moment we would find ourselves in the cafeteria again, each escaping out of classes to meet at the table, everyone occupying their own favourable chair and location.

The selected table by our friends was one surrounded by three couches, crowding various pre-ordered drinks we had requested prior to our arrival. Harvey was sat on the first couch with his strong arm draped over Valentina's shoulders while she laughed at something Tyler had most likely said. April was beside her, also smiling and sipping innocently on a fruity cocktail.

Josh, like his usual self, was isolated on the end of the second couch with Tyler at the other, listening in to the conversation but not fully occupying himself with it. I would grow used to my examination of his features and my attempt to understand what he was thinking when we used to sit in the cafeteria together.

But as we became older, I grew to understand Josh like the back of my hand. I would know every feature and every change in expression, indicating something more than words ever could.

"They're here!" I heard Valentina's overly exaggerated and loud voice, pronouncing her intoxication before the three of us could reach the table.

I slipped straight in between Josh and Tyler, intentionally landing myself next to the man himself and shuffling against his shoulder for him up to join in for more of the conversation than he usually wanted to. Tyler brought me in for an overwhelming side hug as I smiled and picked up what I could only assume to be my drink, seeing as nobody else seemed in the mood to be ordering an espresso martini at this hour.

"How crazy is this?" April expressed with her hands outstretched, landing one of them on Tyler's shoulder and the other on Harvey's. I loved drunk April, it was one of my favourite parts about nights like these. "All of us back together again like nothing ever happened."

"I mean, two of us had a kid and the other two are destined to be married at the end of the year," Tom announced with his usual abruptness, "but sure, nothings happened really." He laughed.

"And what a beautiful little girl she is," Valentina lifted her drink in the air, all of us clinking them together in the process. "It's probably a little late, but congratulations Josh and Savannah." I laughed along with everyone else before clinking my own glass to Josh's, spotting a ghost of a smile, mostly in what I could only assume to be the pride for his daughter.

But as his eyes found mine, an understanding was shared between us. And despite no warning, he brought an arm up and comforted me in a warm hug, kissing the top of my head in the process. It was different, but familiar all at the same time.