Little Lie

Maya's P.O.V

"Hands up or I will shoot." A police officer kicks my door open, pointing a gun at me.

I quickly put my hands up in the air, scared as I can be. I feel how my heartbeat fastens and how a feeling mixed with panic and nervousness grows inside of me.

My mother enters the room now and as soon as she sees me, she runs up to me embracing me in a tight hug. I let my hands fall, before bringing them up to hug my mom back. We stood like this for a couple of seconds before a police officer walked up to us.

"Excuse me Ma'am, but we haven't found anyone else expect your daughter in this house. Maybe you saw something else and all this is a misunderstanding." The men spoke to my mother while placing his gun back at its place on his belt.

"But I saw him. I saw this man! Maya my darling, did you see the man? Did he talk to you? We heard some voices downstairs and it sounded like a male voice." She asks me concerned while she caresses my back.

"I - I um.. yes I saw him! He.. came into my room and a- asked for my purse. He wanted me to give him money but- but then he heard the police officers and ran away." I lie and gulp, fiddling with my fingers nervously while trying to stop myself from stuttering.

"How did he run away." A female officer asks me with a notebook and a pencil in her hands.

"He took the window." I answer quietly and the woman writes something down on her notebook before her colleague asks me another question.

"How did the man look like?" The police officer asks me again with a raised eyebrow.

I feel a lump growing in the pit of my throat as I try to find the right words. "I- I haven't seen his face. He.. um.. wore black sunglasses." I lie again feeling very uncomfortable with all those questions.

I can't believe I am actually doing this right now.

They asked a couple of more questions and after a hour or so they left. The last thing they told me was to ensure my window was always closed. I guess everyone believed me then. But I don't actually feel good about this. I hate lying, I really do. Especially to a person that is very close to me like my mother.

Maybe I should tell her about Jason?

Would she freak out?

Yes. Definitely, yes.

I don't know if I should still keep Jason a secret. Maybe I should end everything? Would he leave me alone then? My life would be much easier without him.

But the question is: Do I really want Jason out of my life?

Because deep down, I have the feeling I don't. And this actually scares me and I hate it.

::

"And nothing else happened? He just asked for money and left?" My father asks at dinner for the hundredth time now.

"Yes, like I've already said before ." I answer, puffing out a shaky breath.

The disappointment I have in myself is growing and growing and I feel like exploding. I decided to not talk about Jason to anyone. I hate to keep this secret to myself. I have no one to talk about it with. What I do know is that I don't want something like this to happen again. I'll just tell Jason to not come over again. And I'll try to avoid any further contact with him after that. I think that's the best idea and I hope it will work..

"Maya? Are you listening?" My mother shakes my arm and I look up from my plate to meet my parent's already fixed gazes on me.

"Lo siento." I excuse myself in Spanish while putting down my fork on my now empty plate. But before any of them could say something, my phone that is placed one the table gets a notification. Our heads turn to the phone and I tense as I read the name of the Person on my screen.