Get used to it

Maya's P.O.V

"Plasma is one of the four fundamental states of matter and was first described by chemist Irving Langmuir in the 1920s. Plasma can be artificially generated by-"

"Hey? Do you pay attention?" Jennifer shakes my shoulder as she was reading a page from a physic book that is very important for our upcoming exam. Sighing, I place the book that I had in my hands on the table and lean my body back on the uncomfortable chair of the school library. "I can't concentrate," I mumble, rubbing my face with my hands.

Jennifer places her book down as well and pushes her chair closer to mine. "Are you still concerned about it?" She asks quietly, rubbing her hand over my arm to comfort me. I shrug, not knowing what to say. "Everything will be fine again, trust me. Don't worry about it that much" She says leaning back as I nodded smiling. "Yeah, thank you." But deep down I couldn't stop thinking about what happened that night.

*Flashback*

"I-I can explain Dad." I stutter nervously as I start to fiddle with my fingers, thinking of a good excuse to tell. I realized that I need to say something so I lick my lips, gulping down the ball that began to form in my throat. My palms begin to sweat and I could swear that my heartbeat accelerated.

"Alright, explain to me. Who is this man? What were you doing with him? Why is he shirtless? It better be not what I am thinking it to be Maya."My father scowls madly after he brings my little brother out of the room.

I took a deep breath before opening my mouth to say something but Jason beat me to it.

"The fuvk is he talking about babe?" Jason sighs, hugging me from behind as he leans his head on my shoulder tiredly. "Pull yourself together Jason. And go put your shirt back on," I hiss, getting out of his grip.

My father looks disgusted at Jason and was about to say something when the voice of someone else interrupted us. "What is going on here?" My mother now enters the room and her eyes widen when she sees Jason. Both of my parents look at me questionably, waiting for an explanation.

In my mind, I wrestled with what I was going to do... whether or not I should tell the truth to my parents. This is the moment and my chance to get rid of Jason. I wouldn't need to worry about him or be scared anymore. I could live my normal life again, without putting others in danger or being in danger by myself. But deep down, it doesn't feel right. If I am being brutally honest, I started to care about Jason and he really means something to me. I'm not sure what this feeling is, but it makes me feel some kind of way. And betraying Jason does not feel right. Without much thought, I did something I will probably regret in the future.

"Mom, Dad, this um... is my Boyfriend Jason. Jason, these are my parents." I introduce them to each other, as Jason came back with his bloody T-shirt on, sending alarm signals to me when I saw the sight of him. Jason reached out to shake hands with my parents, but that couldn't happen. "Why are you bleeding? Is everything okay?" My mother asks Jason worriedly, coming closer to us.

"That's nothing mom. Just.. ketchup. You know we were eating burgers." I answer her before Jason says something wrong. My father looks suspicious at us, especially at Jason who was standing next to me. "Next time, the clothes wills stay on and the door has to be kept opened." Then his eyes land on Jason's hands, that he is holding crossed in front of him. My heartbeat quickened when I followed his gaze, seeing Jason's red and hurt knuckles which he got from a fight. I immediately stood partly in front of Jason, so my father can no longer see Jason's hands so well and therefore can not draw any suspicion.

"I'm sorry that you guys have to see us in this state. We weren't doing anything, really,  j-just chilling you know. His shirt was dirty that's why he was shirtless- Umm... I- I wasn't expecting this situation to happen. You know I was looking forward to you guys to meet him but now we ar-" I started to explain this situation to my parents horribly when my mother stopped me mid-sentence.