C H A P T E R 12 : Layla

Wednesday

December 7th, 2013

3:05 p.m.

                 Riiiiiiinnnnng!

Thank You!

       I mumbled as I gathered my things and stuffed them into my yellow Jansport backpack. I threw my bag over my shoulder and proceeded out the class and into the busy hallway. I walked down the hall; dodging and walking pass other people as I made my way to my locker. When I made it to my locker I did the combination and opened it.  I begin to unload and reload my backpack with certain books. After loading my bag I zipped it up, and dropped it to the floor. I opened my locker door wider and began to look in the mirror. “Wassup chica?” Angel greeted as she pushed me out of the mirror.

“Bitch,” I taunted as I watched her move in front of the mirror.

“The baddest and don’t you ever forget it.” she joked as she glossed her lips.

    I laughed at her. Angel is my bitch. Out of all my friends Angel’s been my ride or die since eighth grade. She’s just like me; cute and quick tempered. She is the type to beat a bitch ass and then act as if it never happened. She was a true crazy Mexican. She kept it to trill; nothin’ was ever filtered when it came to her and that’s why I love her. “What you on tonight?” she asked as she pointed toward my locker.

     I shook my head yes and she closed it. Answering her question I said, “Chillin’ with De’.”

“Oh,” she continued. “We still on for tonight?”

    I didn’t want to answer, but reluctantly I say, “Yeah according to De’ we are.” Changing the subject I ask, “Have you seen Diamond?”

“Nah, but you can check Mr. Santana’s class though.”  she answered.  Her phone sounded. She pulled it out and checked it. I watched as a goofy smile spread across her face. Noticing that I was starring at her she asked, “What?”

     Being nosy I asked, "Why you smiling?”

"Dominick." she replied nonchalantly. I smiled as I shook my head back and forth. “What?” she asked. “Why are you smiling?”

“No reason,” I answered as I walk ahead of her.

“Mhm,” she said in a disbelieving tone.  I laughed because my best friend knew me all too well. She knew why I was being nosy. “It ain’t even like that we just be chillin’, nothin’ more.” she assured me.

“Mhm,” I told her. “Whatever you say.”

    It was no secret that my best friend and my boyfriend’s brother Dominick had the hots for each other.  They’ve been an on again-off again couple since her freshmen year of high school. Just like me and De’s relationship, they too had their up’s and down’s. I don’t know if she was trynna’ convince me or herself that it wasn’t nothin’ serious, either way I really don’t care; I’m just happy for her. “Aww,” I sang. Angel glared at me, which caused me to laugh. She hated gushy shit, but no matter how much she denied it she knew she was feelin’ it.

“Aww what?” she asked as we walk up the stairs.

“You know,” I hinted. “You and Dom.”

“Whatever,” she blushed.

 “I’m serious you guys are adorable together,” I complimented. “and y’all remind me of Darien and me.” I added.