C H A P T E R 30 : Darien

Thursday

January 31st, 2014

11:30 p.m.

 "Your call has been forwarded to an automatic voicemail, please hang up and try your call again,” I heard the female automatic voice seductively say. I clicked before I heard the beep.

“Dammit!” I yelled as I tossed the phone unto my bed.

How hard is it to answer a fucking call? I thought as I rested my elbows on my knees. Kanesha was really starting to piss me off. All day today her ass has been hard to get in touch with, and even when I did finally reach her the background was noise and she was distant. I heard my ringtone and quickly looked over. Thinking it was Kanesha I picked it up and quickly answered. “Why the hell have you not been answering my calls?” I questioned rudely.

 “You have not called me today,” Layla’s voice answered. “What the hell are you talking about?” she questioned.

“Nothing,” I answered quickly. “Wassup ma?”

“Nothing just bored, what you up too?” she asked.

“About to go handle some business.” I told her. “Why?” I asked.

“Cause I wanted to see if you’d come through and spend the night.” she answered.

“Oh.” I answered dryly. “Where’s my son?” I questioned.

“Right here laying on my stomach.” she answered. The line went quiet for a moment. “I don’t like that you’re going out to do this.” she admitted.

“Where’s this comin’ from?” I asked dryly.

“Nothin’ forget it.” she mumbled.

    I huffed and then changed the subject. “How you been?” I asked.

“I’ve been good.” she answered.

“How’s the baby?” I questioned.

“She’s good,” she answered. “She ain’t really been that active today, but that’s prolly ‘cause ha’ daddy ain’t been around.” she added.

     I chuckled. “I’ll swing by tonight ma.” I told her.

“I can’t wait to have her,” she announced. “I know I’ma make an amazing mama.”

“Fa’ sho ma.” I agreed.

    The conversation went silent and I continued to get ready. “So are you gonna’ tell me what this little business trip requires from you?” she questioned.

“Just know I’ma be in town ma and you know I don’t release shit over the phone.” I told her. “The feds be tappin’.”

“So basically I have to pray and hope that I won’t find out on the news?” she questioned.

 “You got jokes.” I said sarcastically as I put on my sweater and headed downstairs. “I’m always safe.”

“Seriously De’, you know the rules.” she reprimanded. “At least tell me half, if not whole.”

    Ceasing her begging I said, “Alright ma, this friend of Montez from Bed Stuy wanna’ talk up a deal tonight.”

"How did he hear about you?” she asked.

“You know I run some hoods down in New York.” I reminded her.

“So lemme’ get this straight.” she cleared her throat and began again. “Some cat from Do or Die heard about you, used Montez to get in touch with you, and now wants to make a deal with you?”