C H A P T E R 15 : Layla

Tuesday

December 19th, 2013

12:00 p.m.

"I can't believe you'd be so stupid Layla!" Kodeniˊ, my mother yelled. Dammit! Can this month get any worse? I can’t believe her ass found out. I haven’t even told Darien yet and already Kodeniˊ had found out. “How long have you been pregnant Lerenda?” she asked.

“I don’t know, I just found out.” I told her.

“Is that why you wearing big shirts and shit?” she asked.

     Being a smartass I answered, “No, this shirt is just comfortable.”

 “You gon’ make me hurt you stop being a smartass.” she warned.

"Mom, don't you think that's enough?" Logan asked.

"Shut up boy and mind your own," she snapped."As a matter of fact you two get upstairs now before I beat you's.” she threatened. They snickered, but did as she asked.

“Are you even listening to me?" my mother yelled as she directed her attention back on me.

     I slowly turned my head toward her way. I stared blankly at her but shook my head yes. Kodeniˊ moved closer toward me, leaned down and began talking directly in my face. I turned my head to the side because I really didn’t care for her words. She could keep on yelling, but it wasn’t gonna’ change me being pregnant. Getting tired and wanting to go lay back down I decided to get the argument over and participated. "How did you find out?"

"I was about to take the garbage out in your room-"

     Cutting her off I yelled, “You went through my shit?”

"First off watch your tone and chill on the cursing, ‘cause I'm not none of them females you be chillin’ with, second yes I did, this is my house and I can go in anything I want." she snapped.

"No, first off it's my room, and second, you not the only one who pay bills if it wasn't for me we wouldn’t even be staying here I helped pay this house off." I snapped.

"Oh, so you got balls now, think you can mouth off to me huh?" she asked.

    Calming myself down I took a deep breath and said, "Mama look I'm sorry, it just happened I wasn't thinking."

"Of course you weren’t," she agreed. "You young girls never think all y’all do is open up y’all legs to these little good for nothin’ knuckle-headed niggas.”

“Mama I’m sorry.” I whined.

"Chile if you say sorry I swear four crack heads!” she fumed. "What did I tell you Layla? What was our talk about sex always use protection right? I even put you on birth control and it still happened."

"Mama, I am sorry," I whined again. "I never meant to get pregnant it just happened."

"Oh so you really sorry?" she asked. "How sorry are you Layla?” she asked. “You must not be too sorry if you threw the test away, so when were you going to tell me Layla?" she asked, anger clear in every sentence. Before I could answer she went on. "Lemme' guess the next words out your mouth was going to be soon right?" she backed away.

      Even though it was I lied and said, “Not really.”

"Oh so not really, well come on Layla we women, you a grown ass women now so let’s talk ma, what you got to say?" she yelled as she did ghetto girl hand movements. I stayed quiet because at that moment I was ready to put paws on this woman. "What, cat got your tongue?" she asked sarcastically. I rolled my eyes. "I bet you wanna say it was an accident huh?"