C H A P T E R 17 : Darien

Wednesday

December 20th, 2013

7:00 a.m.

 "Good Morning Chi-town, Time to Wake up with Ya’ Boys, Ya’ Hot Boys on the Only Station Power92, Today’s Hottest Music!" Dj Farris’s voice boomed through the radio. I turned my head and looked at the time on my alarm clock. I sat up straight and reached over and grabbed from my phone from off the black nightstand standing next to my bed. Seeing that I only had missed calls from Layla I locked the phone back and threw it in front of me on the bed.

     I got out of bed and moved over to my agenda book that sat on top of my dresser. Checking the day I saw that I ain’t have shit planned and when days like this came around it only meant one thing; blow money. Before opening my dresser I stretched and then dug inside in search of clothes for my morning shower.

    As I shuffled through the draws I thought about what I wanted to do today. I knew I was finna’ blow money, but on what and with whom was the question. It was strange for me to have one of these days. I was so use to working that when one of these days came by I didn’t know what to do. I heard my phone vibrating. I walked over to it and picked it up. Her name flashed across the screen and I debated on rather or not to answer. Deciding that I wouldn’t I sent her ass to voicemail. Before I could get back to my dresser my phone rang again. This time I answered. “Hello baby.” I greeted.

    Disregarding my greeting she asked with an attitude, “So you just gon’ send my call to voicemail like that?”

“What’cha talkin’ about?” I asked.

“Don’t what me,” she argued. “you heard me, why did you send my call to voicemail?”

       Disregarding her question I asked, “What do you want?”

    As she began to rant my attention turned to my door. The door slammed and she turned around, sending chills up my spine. As she approached me her face held a warm smile. She moved pass me and hopped onto my king sized bed. Snapping back into reality I heard Layla yelling in my ear. “Are you even fuckin’ listening to me?” she questioned.

“Yeah so chill out with all that damn yelling.” I told her. I directed my attention toward Kanesha and mouthed, What the fuck happened last night?

    Kanesha mouthed back, We fucked.

“Darien seriously we need to talk.” Layla told me.

“What Layla?” I questioned. “Can’t it wait till later?” I asked. “I’m in no mood for a serious conversation at the moment.” I told her.

“No De’ it can not wait you need to know now,” she insisted.

“What is it Lerenda?” I asked angrily. “What’s so damn important that you can’t wait to tell me and you have to bother me this early in the damn morning?” I questioned.

The line went silent for a moment. Breaking it she finally asked in a heartbroken tone, “Why are you talking to me like this?”

“Because you pissin’ me off,” I told her. Getting more and more irritated I asked, “Now what are you talking about?”

“How am I pissin’ you off?” she questioned. “All I said was we needed to talk.”

“Man look are you gon’ talk or what?” I questioned. “Matter fact I’ll holla’ at ‘cho ass later.” I said ready to end the call with her.