C H A P T E R 28 : Layla

Thursday

January 31st, 2014 

8:30 p.m.

    The numbers on the calendar stared back at me as I crossed off today’s date. The day January 31st officially made it a week since I had last talked to Darien and I didn’t plan on changing that anytime soon. Last I heard he was down in Atlanta tending to some ‘business’, but then another little birdie informed me that he was right in Chicago at a popular nightclub, either way I didn’t give a damn; if he was going to do him then I damn sure was gon’ do me. Instead of bein’ out tryna’ make it rain on bitches he need to be tryna’ check on his damn daughter, I mumbled. I placed my hand over my stomach and smiled. Today was a huge milestone in my pregnancy; I was now four months pregnant and during the sonogram today I found out that I was having a baby girl.

    I was excited that this pregnancy was moving along fast. Never in my life have I felt so weak and stressed. I placed the marker on top of my dresser and then walked over to my mirror that rested on the back of my door. I lifted my shirt and turned to my right side. My stomach was now the size of a medium sized watermelon. “You need to hit the gym after you drop this baby,” I mumbled as I noticed the stretch marks that decorated my sides. I pulled my shirt down and moved away from the mirror. I crawled into bed and got comfy. I reached over and grabbed the photos that rested on my nightstand and studied the four sonogram photos that I had of my baby girl.

   I admired the photos, studying the size of her head, and remembering how the doctor said it looked as if she was even sucking her thumb. Even though my baby girl isn’t big as shit her kicks felt powerful and most nights kept me up till about three in the morning. The knock at the door caused me to look away from the pictures. “Come in,” I told them.

     Seconds later my door opened and in walked my mother. “Wassup chinadoll?” she greeted.

“Just lookin’ at these photos.” I answered as I went back to looking at them. I sat them down on the side of me and got under the covers. “You?” I questioned.

“Tired.” she answered dryly as she came deeper into my room.

    I looked over to her, and for the first time in months I noticed how pale her skin looked. My mother was always the one happy and full of life, and now as I looked at her I became concerned at how discolored and unhappy she looked.

“Well maybe you should go take a nap before work.” I suggested.

    She sat on the edge of my bed and turned toward me. “I will in a few.” she said. “I just came in to talk to my oldest baby.” she reached for the sonogram photos and looked at them. “Oh My God,” she exclaimed. “How many months are you?” she questioned excitedly.

“Four,” I answered.

“Only four?” she questioned in disbelief. “You huge girl, I was never this big with you.” she explained. “His mother must have been huge or somethin’.” she uttered. “You know what you’re having?” she questioned as she rubbed my stomach.

     A smile spread across my face. “A girl.” I told her.

“Oh lawd,” she exclaimed. “Now you’ll know how it feels to have a little you with an attitude walking around.” she joked.

   A slight smile spread across my face. “Yeah,” I agreed. “but I really wanted a boy though.” I told her.

“Maybe someday . . . a long while from now.” she joked with half seriousness. “How you holdin’ up though?” she questioned in a serious tone.