C H A P T E R 24 : Darien

Tuesday

January 8th, 2014

6:45 p.m.

Today wasn’t as bad as yesterday. It felt good to be around Monroe, she definitely knew how to make it worth it. I thought as I pulled up to my house. “It was fun while it lasted,” I mumbled as I cut the ignition and hopped out the car. As I walked up the pathway I braced myself for who waited upstairs. I jogged up the porch stairs and entered into the house.

“De’!” my younger sister Kyra yelled as she approached me. I picked her up and gave her a hug. “I missed you!” she yelled as she wrapped her arms around my neck.

“You know you in trouble when mama get back?” Jasmine questioned. “she gon’ jap on yo’ light bright ass.”

“I ain’t trippin’.” I said nonchalantly. “Anybody come by for me, any mail?” I asked.

“Nah,” she answered simply.

“Where you going?” Kyra asked as I put her down.

“I gotta’ head upstairs Ky,” I told her. “I’ll be back down.”

“Is it ‘cause that girl?” she asked innocently.

“Yes I have company, but I’ll be back down.” I told her. I directed my attention over to Jasmine. “Mama know Layla here?”

“Yeah and she ain’t to happy.” she told me. “She knows about the baby too.” she informed.

   I shook my head disapprovingly. I jogged up the stairs and entered inside my room. I shut the door and removed my jacket and aimlessly threw it on the computer chair. I sat down on the computer chair and watched as she stared blankly at the television.

“Stop looking at me.” she demanded in a calm tone. A smile spread across my face, but I didn’t say anything. “I can still feel you lookin’ at me quit it." she snapped.

    I chuckled. “Chill ma I’m just jokin’ wit'cha.” I told her.

 “No Darien I won’t chill, what the hell happened yesterday?” she asked firmly.

    I took a deep breath and prepared myself to answer. “It wasn’t even like that.”

“Then inform me on how it went,” she demanded sarcastically.

“For starters, I don’t like the way your girl Angel is all up in our business,” I told her.  “You know she came up to me acting crazy?” I questioned.

“And for finishers I don’t like that you used my car to go get another bitch.” she snapped.  “Stop changing the subject.” she warned.

“Chill out ‘cause I ain’t trip when I found out you let another nigga’ drop you off at home.” I told her.

“Well what do you expect when you leave me stranded,” she reminded. “for me to walk home asshole?” she questioned.  “He’s a friend, I don’t fuck him, I don’t jack him off, he’s a simple friend who’s there for me.” she told me.

“Yeah, that’s prolly his baby too.” I argued.

“What?” she asked as a confusion came across her face. She threw her hands up and took a deep breath. “You’re not about to flip this on me, this is about yo’ triflin’, cheatin’ ass.”

“Man, whatever.” I scoffed.

“What you not gon’ talk, now?” she asked.

“I don’t know what you’re talking about.” I told her as I stood up and walked over to the bed. I snatched the remote from the side of her and began to surf through the channels.