The Strength of the Weak - Chapter 9

Satomi P.O.V.

My feet drag across the ground as I walk alongside my brother towards the training grounds. Ahead, I could see Naruto and Sakura seemingly just as tired as I felt. Sasuke, however, seemed fine, which I was really jealous of. I wish I could wake up and not be so tired I could pass out at any moment...

"Good morning, Sakura-chan, Naruto-kun," I greet upon meeting up with my teammates. Sakura manages to give me a half-hearted wave while Naruto groans and falls to the ground. If our sensei was anything like yesterday, we would be waiting here for a while.

"Good morning, Sasuke-kun!" Sakura says, perking up for Sasuke as she glances at him. Sasuke hums in response, which was actually surprising considering his recent actions. She squeals and tries to cling to his arm, but he pushes her off before she could get a good grip. Ah, there's the good old Sasuke.

I sigh and plop down next to Naruto, who was half asleep on the ground. He flicks his eyes to my face and offers a tired smile, which I return. Sasuke leans against a nearby tree, with Sakura trying her best to close in on him. This group is really dysfunctional... but I like it.

Now, all we need is for our sensei to show up...

::

Hours pass by, with no sign of our sensei. Naruto and Sakura were far past the point of annoyed, while Sasuke and I were having a hard time trying to keep our cool. I understand running late by a few minutes, but hours is a little too long for my liking...

"Good morning, everyone," Kakashi-sensei greets, appearing out of thin air. Naruto and Sakura growl whilst pointing towards him accusingly.

"YOU'RE LATE!" they screech, causing Kakashi-sensei to scratch the back of his head apologetically.

"Sorry, a black cat crossed my path so I had to take the long way," he says, making up a lie for his tardiness. I scoff at the pathetic excuse, walking up next to Sakura and Naruto.

"Now, let's begin our mission," Kakashi-sensei states, placing an alarm clock on one of the four logs next to us, "You have until noon to take these bells from me. If you can't get them by noon, you will go without lunch. You'll be tied to those posts and watch while I eat my own lunch in front of you." Sakura and Naruto groan in protest, while Sasuke and I tense up. This is serious.

"Kakashi sensei, there are three bells, yet four of us. Why is that?" Sakura questions. Kakashi-sensei smiles at her, which for some reason puts me on edge.

"That way at least one of you will be tied to the posts and ultimately disqualified for failing to complete the mission. That one goes back to the academy. Then again, all four of you could fail, too. All of you may use any weapons you wish, including shuriken. If you're not prepared to kill me, you won't be able to take the bells."

"But sensei! Those weapons are way too dangerous, we could hurt you!" Sakura gasps. Naruto starts laughing from next to her, causing me to raise an eyebrow.

"Yeah, especially since you couldn't even dodge that eraser!" Naruto taunts. Kakashi-sensei sighs at him.

"Class clowns are usually the weakest links. Lowest scores. Losers," This statement got Naruto riled up, as he clenched his teeth in annoyance.

"When I say start, you may begin," Kakashi-sensei instructs. Naruto, however, had other plans.

"I'll kill you!" Naruto claims, running towards Kakashi-sensei with a kunai in his grasp, aiming to kill. Before anyone can blink, Kakashi-sensei has Naruto pinned to the ground with the kunai Naruto had in his hand aimed straight towards his neck. Sasuke and Sakura gasp, while I narrow my eyes. He was fast.