The Strength of the Weak - Chapter 21

Satomi P.O.V.

"Listen, we can't let something like that happen again," I state as everyone else sits around me. They nod in agreement.

"We should use a secret code, just in case we get separated. You can only trust the person that can repeat the code," Sasuke suggests, placing his hands together thoughtfully.

"Alright listen up, because I'm only going to say this once. The question will be, 'When does a ninja strike?' and the response is, 'A ninja will wait until the time is right. When the enemy sleeps and drops his guard. When his weapons lay forgotten in the stillness of the night. That is the moment for a ninja to strike.' You got it?"

Sakura and I nod, while Naruto stares at Sasuke, his lip twitching.

"Do you think you've got one a little shorter?" he asks, scratching his head. Sakura groans and holds a hand to her head in annoyance.

"Come on Naruto, I got that easy. Do you really not have it memorized?"

"I've got it, I've got it. I just thought it would be a password, not a pass-speech," Naruto grumbles.

He definitely didn't get it.

A small wind causes a cut on Naruto's face, making my eyes narrow as I whip my head towards the opening where it came from.

"Move!" I shout, grabbing Sakura's hand and diving into a bush before we got pummeled by the attack. That was one hell of a wind technique... way more powerful than a normal genin could produce.

"Are you alright, Sakura?" I ask her, helping her to her feet. She coughs, and wipes the dirt off of her face, glancing up at me between her bangs.

"Yeah, I'm fine. Do you know where Sasuke or Naruto are?"

"No, I didn't see where they went," I answer, walking to the left with my eyes peeled. Sakura follows after, glancing around nervously. After a few steps, I spot the three attackers. The shinobi from Kusa... the ones that gave me bad vibes. I grab Sakura's arm and crouch down, just as Sasuke crawls out of a bush.

When he sees us, he backs away, holding up a kunai.

"When does a ninja strike?" he asks suspiciously. I sigh and step forward, although keeping Sakura close to my back.

"A ninja will wait until the time is right. When the enemy sleeps and drops his guard. When his weapons lay forgotten in the stillness of the night. That is the moment for a ninja to strike," I repeat. Sasuke lets his kunai down, although he looks at Sakura suspiciously.

"She's safe, we jumped into the bushes together and haven't separated at all," I defend. Sasuke grunts and nods his head, just as Naruto runs up to us.

"Stop right there. When does a ninja strike?" Sasuke asks, raising his kunai once more. I also pull out a few shuriken, just in case he does end up being an enemy.

"The password? Oh, right! A ninja will wait until the time is right. When the enemy sleeps and drops his guard. When his weapons lay forgotten in the stillness of the night. That is the moment for a ninja to strike."

I scoff and toss the shuriken, just as Sasuke does. Naruto dodges with a scowl, while Sakura gapes at Sasuke and I.

"I don't understand! He got the password right!" Sakura exclaims.

"Exactly," Sasuke and I say simultaneously. Sakura then realizes the problem, reaching for her weapons pouch. The fake Naruto smirks deviously, dropping the transformation to reveal the Kusa kunoichi from earlier.

"Well, aren't you two clever. So, tell me... if your partner is really that dim-witted... why would you create a password he would never be able to remember?" she questions cockily. Sasuke smirks at her arrogantly.