The Strength of the Weak - Chapter 11

Satomi P.O.V.

"Ne, Kakashi-sensei, are there any shinobi in the Land of Waves?" Sakura asks from behind me. We had just departed from Konoha for our first C-Rank mission and there was a mixture of emotions. Sasuke and I were fine, Naruto was ecstatic, and Sakura was unusually timid. She must be scared of being attacked.

"No, Sakura. The Land of Waves is a poor country which can't afford something like that," Kakashi-sensei hums from behind his book. I sigh softly and continue my steady trek down the road, glancing back every once in a while. Sasuke and I were at the head of the group, while the others were behind us, just in case we did end up getting attacked.

A few hours later, we were about three-quarters of the way to the boat waiting to take us to the Land of Waves. Nothing was out of the ordinary and Kakashi-sensei seemed completely at ease, which was a good sign. The grass sways in the wind as we pass by, Sasuke and I casually stepping over a stray puddle of water.

A loud gasp is heard behind us, causing Sasuke and I to turn around in alarm. A pair of chains were wrapped around Kakashi-sensei's torso, extending from the puddle we had passed mere moments ago. I grit my teeth as Kakashi-sensei is ripped to pieces in front of us, however, there is no blood. He must've used a substitution.

"Kakashi-sensei!" Sakura screeches in panic, unable to tear her eyes from the torn up bits of Kakashi-sensei's body. I pull out a kunai and leap into action as the two ninjas who had attacked Kakashi-sensei turn their attention towards Tazuna. He must be their target.

Sasuke steps up to the plate, throwing a kunai in the dead center of the chains the enemy were attached to, and pinning them to the tree. He then leaps up into the air and expertly nails them in the head with a powerful kick. The kick ends up pulling them from their chains, but that doesn't stop them.

One of the men goes towards Tazuna, while the other runs straight for Naruto, who was frozen in place. I glance at Sasuke and nod to him, taking off towards Naruto when he nods back to me in a silent agreement. Just as the ninja extends his weapons to hit Naruto, I flash my sharingan and body flicker in front of Naruto, kicking upwards just as the enemy approaches and launching him up in the air with a harsh kick to the chin.

While he is in the air, he looks down at me and into my eyes. A malicious grin spreads across my face as I trap him in my genjutsu, letting his body drop limply to the ground. Sighing in relief, I deactivate my sharingan and turn to face Naruto, who was staring at his hand in disbelief. A large gash ran across its length, blood dripping from in unrelentingly.

"Sorry, Naruto-kun. I didn't mean for you to get injured," I apologize to Naruto, taking his hand in mine and pressing it with a bandage until Kakashi-sensei came over to check it out. He had appeared from hiding the moment my enemy hit the dirt, taking the two of them hostage. No one else was injured, thankfully, but shinobi were not on the list of possible enemies we would have to face on this mission.

"Hey, you aren't hurt are you... scaredy cat," Sasuke taunts, walking over to the two of us with an arrogant smirk. Naruto gets riled up and attempts to rip his hand away from me, but I kept a firm grip on his hand and held him back.

"Sasuke-kun. Please don't taunt Naruto-kun like that, especially with a lame line like 'scaredy cat'..." I scold my brother lightly, giving him a disapproving look. He grunts and walks away from us, while Kakashi-sensei comes up.

"Naruto, don't move around too much, there was poison in those claws. If you move too much, you could die," Kakashi-sensei says nonchalantly. Naruto begins to freak out and jump around in panic, which is the opposite of what Kakashi-sensei advised, making me shake my head in irritation.