The Strength of the Weak - Chapter 43

Satomi P.O.V.

Neji leads me to the Kohi Zeri stand, although when we reach the front he doesn't let go of my hand like I expected he would.

"Two small Kohi Zeris, please," he orders, to which the man gives us each a small cup of the dessert. Neji, in turn, pulls out some ryo and hands it to the owner. 

"You didn't have to pay for me, I could have gotten it," I say in exasperation. Neji waves off my worries, bringing me to a table where we sit to eat our treat.

"It's alright, I have extra money to spend tonight. You can pay me back later if you really want to," he suggests, although I can tell that even if I did offer him the money he wouldn't take it. I smile at his kind gesture, taking a bite of my dessert while gazing at the lanterns overhead.

Neji's eyes don't leave my face.

"Tonight is truly a beautiful night," I note, bringing my attention back to Neji. He nods in agreement, finishing up his dessert with a hum. 

"You seem to enjoy the simple things," Neji comments. I nod as I take the last bite of my own dessert, pushing it off to the side until we decide to get up. 

"The more you think about it, the more you realize how simple things bring you joy. I just tend to notice it more often than not."

"That's a nice quality to have," Neji states, leaning on his arm casually. I blush yet again, my smile brightening considerably.

"I'm glad I'm not the only one who thinks so."

Neji and I continue our conversation for a while longer, before he suggests we continue to walk around and check out the other stands. The others had ditched us a while ago, although neither of us were really bothered by it. In fact, I liked spending some time with Neji alone more so than I think I would have if we were with the whole group.

As we walk, a small gleam catches my eye, bringing my attention over to a simple necklace for sale at a jewelry table. Neji notices my attention drifting, so he grabs my hand and guides me over to the stand. 

I zero in on the necklace, a small gasp escaping my lips when I saw it up close. It was a small silver pendant of a bird in a cage on a dainty chain. Something about it caught me in a trance, its simple elegance drawing me in.

"Excuse me, how much is this necklace," Neji asks the stall worker, pointing towards the necklace I was looking at. She glances at it before holding up two fingers.

"200 ryo, sir."

Neji pulls out the money and hands it to her, picking up the necklace from the display.

"N-Neji, you didn't have to buy that for me!" I exclaim, although I was deeply touched by his gesture. 

"It's alright, Satomi. Turn around, I'll put it on you," he instructs, to which I oblige. Neji releases the clasp, gently lowering it around my neck, before redoing it and letting it drop down. It lays perfectly over the center of my collarbone, as if it were always meant to be there.

I turn around and blush a deep red while looking into Neji's eyes. He seemed content, a small smile gracing his lips, unlike his usual arrogant scowl.

"Thank you, Neji. It's beautiful."

::

Sighing in delight, my team and I were back to our normal selves. The village was beginning to return to order after the Third Hokage's death, thanks to Lady Tsunade, and we were just called in for a mission.

The festival yesterday ended with Neji escorting me home, much to my delight. I don't know what it is about him, but it makes me feel nervous. Surprisingly, it wasn't a bad nervous, per say. It was a nervous that I almost enjoyed.