The Strength of the Weak - Chapter 46

Satomi P.O.V.

"Go, Idate, go!" Naruto cheers from next to me. We were sitting atop of a wooden structure, watching as Idate caught up to the other racer. He was at such a disadvantage throughout the entire race, but here he was, toe to toe with his competitor.

A roar of cheers erupts from the crows as Idate pulls ahead, passing through the finish line before the Wagarashi Family's contestant could. Idate won.

::

"Thanks for everything, you guys," Idate says, scratching the back of his head sheepishly. Sakura and I smile at him, while Naruto pumps a fist in the air. Sasuke was on a stretcher nearby, his injuries preventing him from standing.

"I'm here to take the wounded," a gruff voice says, climbing out of the boat that had arrived to take us home. I watch with a small smirk as Idate recognizes the man, his eyes widening in awe.

"O-Onii-san?! Is that you?" he asks, his legs trembling at the sight of Ibiki Morino. Ibiki merely stares at Idate emotionlessly, although I recognize a flash of recognition in his eyes.

"The only brother I had died three years ago. It's time to go," he dismisses, guiding us all onto the boat as we bid farewell to Idate.

Sasuke is lowered from the stretcher, being allowed to sit next to the side while we sail home. I sit next to him, taking note of his faraway look. 

"Are you alright, Sasuke?" I ask quietly, a frown forming on my face at Sasuke's hesitation.

"I'm fine. My injuries don't hurt," he concedes, turning his head the other way. I blink, leaning my head on his shoulder and watching the water rock the boat as we sit together.

"You know that's not what I meant."

"I can't believe Naruto was the one to beat Aoi," he spits out, body trembling in anger. An anger he shouldn't feel so deeply. 

"You don't give yourself enough credit, Sasuke. He was only able to beat Aoi because you cracked his sword with your Chidori. If that crack wasn't there, we wouldn't have had a plan of attack," I explain, trying to make Sasuke feel better in any way possible. What I said was the truth, too. He played a huge part in Aoi's defeat.

"Whatever," Sasuke scoffs, closing his eyes with a scowl. I frown, closing my own eyes and leaving my head leaned against his shoulder.

Sasuke is getting frustrated.

::

"You like apples, right, Sasuke?" Sakura asks sweetly beginning to peel and cut an apple for my brother, who was in the hospital after our last mission. Sasuke doesn't respond, merely glaring at the sheets. 

Something is bothering him.

"Here you go, Sas-" Sakura starts, only for the apple slice to be slapped away by Sasuke. My jaw drops at this action, disbelieving eyes watching as Sasuke's sharingan activates as he glares hatefully at Naruto.

What... what caused this?

"Fight me, Naruto."

Naruto blinks in surprise before a serious look adorns his face. The glare Sasuke is sending at Naruto is more than just one between comrades. He looked like he wanted to murder Naruto on the spot.

"What the hell's gotten into you?" Naruto reprimands, not backing away as Sasuke climbs out of his hospital bed and gets in his face.

"I said fight me. Unless you're too chicken, that is," he taunts, smirking nastily as Naruto is taken aback by his tone.