21. Mated.

Alexi made arrangement for Spike to escort Art to Wrens house.

"Make sure to return on time. We need to dress to impress", he smiled at his friend who seemed more than nervous. "Don't worry so much, Art. It's not going to change anything."

Art wanted to say something but decided not to. Alexi was right. For better or worse, this was going to happen. He slowly let out his breath and did his best to relax his body.

His mother had returned to her duties while he waited for Spikes arrival. When the beefy guard appeared he involuntarily jumped to his feet and dragged the man along.

"Charlotte?" Alexi grinned at the back of Arts quickly disappearing figure.

"Yeah. I guess she's exited", he half yelled back, clearly not intending to slow down.

"Well good luck to you and see you later", Alexi shouted with glee and returned to his chambers determined to pick out the best costumes for tonight.

Art arrived at the house first and only after Spike had strategically placed his guards did he allow Charlotte to take over.

"I know you're very uncomfortable with this, Art, so it means that much more to me that you allow me this time with my mate."

"Alleged mate", he protested weakly.

Charlotte raised her eyebrows in apparent mockery, but decided to give him a break.

"I'll put a screen in place, ok?"

Art thought about it. It would shield him from her and all the nasties that would take place. An extremely welcoming thought, but still...

"It also means that I wouldn't be able to sense if you needed help", he protested.

Charlotte smiled.

"I can call on Spike. He knows me and I trust him. Don't worry, Art, I am safe. Casper will protect me."

Hearing the sincerity and warmth in her voice made Art feel like a weight lifted from his shoulders. She was right. After tonight they wouldn't be alone anymore. Casper and Wren would love, cherish and protect Charlotte just as much as he did. His own part in the relationship could be dealt with later. For now this was more than enough.

"Thank you, Charlotte and be safe", he said before the screen set in place.

Charlotte did a little test by flashing a few indecent images and smiled contently when she felt no response. Satisfied with the outcome she turned all her attention to the moment and started grooming herself. She wanted to look her absolute best when meeting the wolf that came to claim her.

Casper smelt the sweet arousal of his mate even before he reached the house. It took all his
self-control not to claw his way forward and change in public. Only the knowledge that it was for Charlottes safety, that he needed to wait until he was inside, kept him from embarrassing himself in front of Spikes men. The mere realization that soon he could let go of his restrains and finally claim her as his own drove him to insanity.

"Please hurry, Wren", he begged. "I haven't seen her in so long."

Wren ignored the sharp pang in his heart. He too longed to claim his mate, but Art proved to be a hard shell to crack. He was pleased for his wolf to be able to mate today. It would partly soften the pain that came with Arts (rejection) unwillingness to accept him.

"All is safe and secure, Captain", Spike reported and opened the front door.

As soon as it closed he let Casper take over.