29. A parting gift

The group of men were guided home safely by the biggest and brightest moon Art had ever seen. He was very grateful for it, because by the time they finally reached the Palace he was exhausted. In fact, he was so tired that when Wren told him to follow Dennis to the Dungeon were the Prince would continue his treatment, he didn't even blink. If memory served him well there were two comfortable looking sofa's against the back wall and one of them had his name on it. The moment Dennis and he had settled in, the man gave him a nod.

"Sleep. I'll wake you if something happens."

Art dragged himself to the other sofa and fell asleep immediately.

Wren followed Spike to the private chambers of King Dimitri. After a short discussion both of them agreed that the information they had was too important to wait.

"What news do you bring me in the dead of night, Captain Wren?" the King said entering his study.

"Both good and bad news, Sire", Wren answered. "We've returned with Prince Rafael, but found his escorts slaughtered by what appeared to be a group of thieves. However the wounds we found on the Prince were made by a poisonous blade and gave us the strong impression that he was the victim of an assassination attempt. One that would have succeeded if it wasn't for Art."

The King pursed his lips. "Do you have any leads as to who is responsible for the attempt on the life of Prince Rafael?"

"None so far, Sire", Wren admitted. "One of my men is treating Prince Rafael right now. We hope to gather more information as soon as the Prince regains consciousness."

"See that you do", the King nodded. "Now get some sleep. We'll reconvene after breakfast."

Spike returned to his quarters while Wren went down to the Dungeon. He didn't want Art to wake up alone in the same room he almost met his end.

"How is the Prince?" he asked Dennis who had surrounded himself with all sorts of colorful cups, pots and ointments.

His subordinate looked up at him and shook his head. "I've done all I can. If he gets through the night and I do mean if", he stressed, "then he should have a fighting chance, but it's really touch and go at this point."

Wren talked shortly to the guard Spike had send down before he walked over to the sofa Art was lying on. The small bench didn't leave room for another person, so he sat in front of it, leaned his head against Art's legs and fell asleep; comforted by the scent of his mate and the knowledge that at this moment everyone was safe.

Morning arrived with the best of news. During the night the Prince's fever broke and his prognoses was looking favorable. Art found himself embarrassed by the looks Wren gave him. It mirrored his own feelings of adoration and lust. Sadly they didn't have time to indulge in either, so he answered with a quick peck on Wrens lips before turning to Dennis.

"Is he stable enough to move?"

He felt Wren move behind him.

"What are you thinking of?" he asked Art.

"I know Alexi has house-arrest until this situation is cleared up, but having Prince Rafael near his mate could be beneficial to both of them, right? I also think the Prince would be far safer with Alexi if someone finds out that their attempt failed."

"I will present your idea to the King. Now give me a real kiss so we can get this day started", Wren smiled and pulled him in for a searing kiss.

"No", said the King without any hesitation. "I also want what's best for my son, but until Prince Rafael can proof his claim on Alexi they need to be separated. I will however allow Arthur to keep him company."