28. Search and Rescue

Left with no alternative and wasting valuable daylight they looked for tracks that matched the party that escorted Prince Rafael. When proven unsuccessful Wren insisted they ride to the stables for reinforcements knowing that the nature of their mission had radically changed.

"Luck favors the prepared", he said not wanting to take the word 'trouble' into his mouth. Art was already worried enough.

While welcoming the four impressive looking soldiers to the group, Spike returned with his own addition in the form of a tracker. Not long after, but long enough still, he raised his hand.

"My tracker's got a lead."

"Finally", Art sighed. 

Putting their heads together they soon discovered the most likely route the escorts of Prince Rafael would have taken.

"Let's move out", Wren ordered and spurred on his horse.

Art felt better now they were on their way. Wren tried to spare his feelings by not stating the obvious; Prince Aeyel was in real danger! He just hoped to get to him in time. Looking around he also realized that he was the only untrained person in their group.

"Please", snorted Charlotte. "You may not be a trained soldier, but that hardly makes you a soft target. Try to think back to your Alpha-training. As I remember your father taught you enough to stand your ground."

"Are you worried?" he heard Casper ask, who probably felt his unrest through Charlotte.

"A little", Art admitted. "I don't know how useful I could be in combat."

Casper smiled. "I think that we got that part covered. You would be much more useful in putting out those feelers and telling Wren what you pick up. Providing this additional information makes you incredibly important."

"Thank you, Casper", said Art already feeling better. This could be the ticket to convincing Wren to let him tag along on all his missions. He almost grinned, but then felt an emotion coming from Charlotte that chilled him to the bone. "Why would you come up with this now?" he asked trying to keep his calm.

"I'm sorry, but mentioning Aldair and thinking back on how proud he was of you", she cried. "I miss Cronos so much. Especially know." Charlotte shakily inhaled. "I know this is the absolute worst time, but are you ever going to confront Wren about the death of your father?"

Art remained quiet for so long that Charlotte thought she wouldn't get an answer until he sighed and her heart overflowed with emotions. "I loved my father and Cronos very much and although I admit I'm not quite there with Wren yet, I can tell you this;  No matter what the rumors say, I am convinced that Wren is not a cold blooded murderer. That will have to do for now."

Even though she brought the subject up herself, Charlotte couldn't be more proud of the maturity in Arts thoughts and feelings. "You are right. We'll talk about it another time."

The tracker had a relatively easy job since the escorts of Prince Rafael had horses with very distinctive horseshoes. Art could see that Wren thought they were making up for lost time by pushing their horses, but he was unable to shake this feeling of urgency. He had seen the map and listened to the discussions on the most likely route. At that moment he had completely agreed with the assessment until they came across the fork in the road and he changed his mind. They were supposed to go right. The tracks clearly showed that the escorts of Prince Rafael went to the right, yet every fiber in his body screamed at him to go left.

Wren was riding behind the tracker when he heard the loud and desperate echo of Arts plea in his head. Although it made no sense, since he could see the tracks going right, he also knew that Art was here for this precise reason. Making the difficult decision he gestured for the group to stop and he let himself fall back to talk to Art.