34. I do.

Art rushed over to the Chapel not thinking about anything but alerting Wren to the possibility that there might be traitors in the King's Army. And household, as he remembered the mention of an informant. Without a thought he entered the Chapel in his bloodied clothes to find Wren standing at the Altar with a bouquet of flowers in his hands.

"Oh no", Charlotte cried out. "How could I not have seen this? I don't expect you to have picked up on it because you are a blockhead", she chided Art, "but I should have known better."

"Known what?" Art asked surprised, cementing the words of Charlotte that he was the world's most clueless mate.

"Give us a moment to freshen up", she called out to a worried looking Wren.

An Altar-boy came forward and smiled at Art surprisingly undisturbed by the sight and smell of his appearance. "Please, sir. Follow me."

The boy led him to a study with a small water-basin in the corner.  Opening a wardrobe he pulled out a clean shirt and trousers. "Is there anything else I can get for you?" he asked politely.

"Thank you, but no. You have been most kind", Charlotte answered.

The Alter-boy smiled brightly. "Your mate is very handsome. Although very unusual I think it's great that the two of you are getting married", he said leaving the room before Art could respond.

"Is it that uncommon for werewolves to marry?" Art asked feeling dazed.

"Since the matingbond is a holy union in itself most werewolf couples don't see or feel the need to marry. Casper told me that it's common in his old Kingdom and so I think that Wren just wants to follow in his parents footsteps and marry his mate", Charlotte answered.

After washing up he put on the clean trousers and shirt. The time of owning only one pair of clothes lay far behind him so he didn't think twice and binned his dirty outfit. Re-entering the Chapel Art couldn't keep the grin of his face. Wren wanting to seal the bond between their human sides felt empowering to him. It was another confirmation on how he chose to walk the path set before him. Neither of them would be mindless pawns. And he swore to raise his children with the same mindset. The fear that had controlled him on the way over melted away. Yes, the danger was still real and imminent, but they were more than capable to keep the children safe. All of them. 

Art looked up and locked eyes with Wren. Of all the emotions he read in those gorgeous brown eyes the one he loved the most was respect. They were equals in the mating even though both contributed in different ways. Art's smile widened when he walked down the aisle with confidence in his stride. He knew that this combination of cockiness and Alpha-posturing affected his mate and the slight blush only made him smile brighter. He stopped before him and whispered: "Save those naughty thoughts for later when you don't have a Priest to shock with your blatant scent of arousal." Stepping away with a smug smirk around his lips he acknowledged the Priest who just joined them.

The older man cleared his throat. "Captain Wren asked for a simple ceremony, so let us begin", he said looking at Art who nodded. "Please face each other and join hands." He placed his hands on their interlocked fingers.

"Orlando Wren, do you vow to be responsible for the wants and needs of Arthur Gideon Balthazar and promise to fulfil them to the best of your abilities, until death you do part?"

Wren nodded, giving their hands a little squeeze. "I do."

"Arthur Gideon Balthazar, do you vow to be responsible for the wants and needs of Orlando Wren and promise to fulfil them to the best of your abilities, until death do you part?"

His emerald green eyes gazed into Wren's. "I do."

"Then by the power invested in me by the Church and King Dimitri, I know pronounce you wed. You my exchange tokens", the Priest smiled.