26. The truth will set you free.

Art took a seat in the windowsill and watched, with growing anticipation, how the servants brought up the remaining food, put new logs in the fire, draw them a bath and turned down the bed. Looking at Wren, who was nibbling from his plate, he could feel his patience slipping. Charlotte had returned the favor and put up a screen, but he missed her voice of reason.

"Wake us at first light", Wren ordered the last servant before the door closed and they were alone.

The moment he felt the black eyes of Wren on him, he felt his stubbornness flair up.

"If you think I'm going to bend over and let you take me, you've got another thing coming", he said standing up and putting out his chest. "I'm an Alpha just like you. I don't have to listen to anything you have to say...what are you doing?" Art stopped in the middle of his tirade.

Wren had taken out a small vial and placed it on the table.

"The shop was closed, but the Witch who runs it helped me regardless. She made this potion to help you find your true desire."

"To give me the choice between what? Taken from behind or laying on my back with my legs spread wide open?" Art let out a sardonic snort. "No thank you!"

Wren shook his head.

"As always you seem to deliberately misinterpret my meaning. This potion is designed to free you from all inhibitions and lets you and you alone decide how we move forward."

He could see that Art was struggling to understand what he was being told. Casper would probably kick his ass for this, but he wanted his mate to fully grasp the big picture.

"Look at it as a truth-serum. This potion frees you from everything and everyone and just leaves your voice to make a decision about this. Us."

Art cocked his head.

"So if it is my true desire to reject you, I could?" he asked, knowing that if Charlotte were present she would never allow him to do such a ridiculous thing.

Wren ignored the pain caused by the mere mention of rejection and nodded.

"You're in control."

Arts heart leaped at the opportunity to finally get his say. He emptied the content of the vial without hesitation and watched how Wren moved towards the tub.

"While you wait for the potion to work, I'm going to take a bath and wash of the dirt of the road."

He looked over his shoulder.

"Would you like to join me?"

"Sure", Art answered with confidence. "No funny business", he added sporting a small smile.

Wren removed his clothes and grinned.

"I promise not to touch you without your emphatic consent. Does that make you a little less nervous?"

Art guffawed.

"What makes you think I would be nervous? I'm used to being around naked men. Now that I know we won't be having sex tonight, you pose no threat to me."

Wren blinked at those words.

"Is that a future you see for us? Friends?" he asked stepping into the warm water.

Arts eyes skimmed his naked body almost guilelessly and started to remove his trousers. Wren openly admired the body of his mate and was pleasantly surprised that Art let him. The boy seemed deliberately slow in removing the last pieces of clothing and turned his body in such a way to present himself most desirable.

Picking up a piece of soap and a washing cloth Art nodded.

"I think that we could work on that", he said and stepped behind Wren in the tub. "Let me start by washing you."

Wren felt his body relax under the solid touch of Arts hands. There was no hesitation in the contact with his bare skin. Art leaned shamelessly against him he could feel the boys lower body pressed against his back. Not that he complained, but it did make him wonder.

"Would you allow me to wash your hair?" he heard Art ask.

"Sure. Let me get something from my bag. It's this special floral crème that I bought on the market today." Wren hoisted his body from the tub and walked across the room.

The heat that Art felt in his stomach seemed to spread out like wildfire. Touching Wren felt right and uncomplicated. Looking at the perfectly sculpted body before him all his resistance disappeared. This man could be his everything. A protector. An equal. Someone who wouldn't take his shit and tell him the truth when he needed to hear it. Someone who he'd devote his loyalty too, but this time he wouldn't be left behind.

With a pang of pain he realized his true issue with loving Wren. The man was a soldier like his father. His father who had left him when he needed him most and never returned. Now as an equal in the partnership he would make sure that Wren never left without him. That's all he ever wanted.

His body moved before he realized. Wrapping his arms around Wrens naked waist he placed a kiss on his shoulder. Surprised about this sudden move Wren turned in his arms. Emerald green eyes looked up at him with genuine desire. No more hiding.

Torn between making good on the promise in those gorgeous eyes and the need to make sure that this was what Art wanted Wren took a step back.

"Are you sure?"

"If you're not up for it we could talk like Darren suggested?" Art smirked smelling the arousal of his mate.

"No", Wren said with a hoarse voice. "I just want to be sure that this is what you truly want."

Art smiled.

"I haven't been more certain about anything in my life."

Now that Art allowed himself he felt the difference between his lovemaking to women and his burning desire for Wren. The women were an indulgence of youth and fed his misplaced male ego. It had nothing to do with the deep connection that formed between him and his bedpartner now. He almost felt silly for denying the pure and holy bond for so long. Tenderness prevailed in their touches and kisses. A gentle discovery of each other's body.

Before, Art had seduced Wren and marked him without blinking an eye. It had filled him with content more than satisfaction. This time it wasn't a one way street. Art felt safe in the knowledge that Wren wanted him just as much as the other way around. When he laid down his body on the bed and Wren slid next to him he smiled. A certain wetness between his legs fortified his position as Uke, but this time he didn't mind.

"Look how you provide for me, my little mate", Wren cooed in his ear while placing himself behind Art.

"Don't be a smart mouth and ruining your chances to tap this fine ass", Art moaned rubbing himself on Wrens hard member.

Tugging on his shoulder, Wren turned him so he lay sprawled on his back making for quite a sensual display.

"Playing hard to get, little mate?" Wren teased stroking Arts swollen shaft.

Art lifted his legs and wrapped them around Wrens waist.

"Shut up and fuck me", he cried out in wanton need.

"Of course, little mate. Your wish is my command", said Wren before he thrusted forward and sealed their fate.