27. A Sticky Wicket.

While Art came down from another earthshattering climax, Charlotte shyly announced her presence.

"I hope you had some rest, because there's a servant on his way up to wake you", she smirked brightly.

Art returned her smile exhausted, but exhilarated at the same time.

"Time to get going", he said to Wren who just finished filling him to the brim and looked mighty smug for doing so.

"To think that come next year we could be a family", Wren said dreamily pulling Art closer for a deep kiss.

A knock on the door brought them back to the here and now.

"Alexi is depending on us", Art said gathering his clothes not bothered by the disappointed sighs of Wren and started getting dressed. He ignored Charlotte who breathlessly skimmed through his memories of last night.

"Looks to me like you didn't get any sleep", she snorted making him blush. "You know what? Let me take over for a while and get some much needed rest", she offered and Art gladly took it.

Doing stuff with Wren was one thing, but he wasn't ready to talk about it yet.

"I love you", he said to Charlotte before letting her take control.

Wren looked at the exchange and sighed.

"Well, you'll be pleased now that your girlfriend is in charge", he said to Casper.

"It's the right call to make", Casper nodded. "Besides, he won't be focused on anything else until this situation with Alexi has been cleared up."

"Good morning, Captain Wren. Charlotte", Darren greeted them at the breakfast table. "She has a very unique aura", he explained when Wren raised his eyebrows.

"Is that how you're going to identify the dormant wolf of Prince Rafael?" Charlotte asked.

Darren shrugged.

"I've never encountered someone with a dormant wolf before, so I can't answer that question. We will have to wait and see."

"Eat up. I want to leave in ten minutes", said Wren. "If this good weather holds we'll be able to reach the palace before midday."

On their way to the stables Casper pushed forward and kissed Charlotte who tasted like the strawberries she had for breakfast.

"Is Art ok?" he asked licking his sweetened lips.

"Yes", she nodded. "Letting him make up his own mind was the right decision. Even I didn't realize the root of this resistance. It seems so obvious now."

"Art totally ignored the comment about becoming a family, but he must know that the chances of your being pregnant right now is almost a hundred percent."

When she didn't answer Casper took her by the elbow and stared at her.

"Tell me!" he demanded seeing the clear hesitation in her eyes.

"That's just it", she exclaimed pulling her elbow out of his grasp. "There's nothing too tell, because I'm not pregnant", and ran off.

Before he could go after her Darren stopped him.

"It would do you good do take in mind that nothing about your pairing is like anything anyone's seen before. There is no marker to go by. For now focus on the task at hand and let nature take its course", Darren smiled.

"I'm sorry, Charlotte", Casper apologized when they reached the stables. "It wasn't my intention to embarrass you or make you feel uncomfortable."

"I accept", Charlotte answered with concerned looking emerald green eyes. "Now please let us hurry. I've got a bad feeling."