8;

Just chase the sun without me

Lucas ate his cereal like it was boiling water. At times he couldn't even pick up the spoon. The cast restraining his right arm made things harder for him. He wanted to cry but couldn't make his mind over what to shed a tear over first. Or who.

His mother sat across from him silently with a smile that spoke a thousand words. She was happy to have her son home even in his condition.

"The bruise on your nose is healing. So is the one on your cheek." Lucas didn't bother to look at her or smile. "Ehem, the doctor said she'll be extending the wearing of your cast for another two weeks."

Lucas played in his lucky charms long enough for them to get soggy. The sight of it made his stomach weak which resulted in him pushing the bowl away. "Can I go see Mark later today?" His sore hand opened and closed to get back some feeling.

His mother leaned forward on the table wanting to get closer look in his eyes. She searched for the hurt in him but she didn't have to look too deep. "Doctor was concerned with the cuts on your arm. She told me some of them were fresh."

"She lied to you," Lucas grumbled.

"Yukhei! I'm not an idiot!"

He threw himself out of his chair before slamming his uninjured fist on the table making everything on it jump. Mrs. Wong was taken back by his sudden behavior.

"Not everyone wants to be interrogated while their friend is in the hospital, alright?" Mrs. Wong stands up to meet her sons chin level. "Mom please... please, let me go see Jungwoo."

That's when time for the both of them stopped. Lucas' eyes shut tightly as he winced at what he just said. His mother shook her head before removing herself from in front of him. The sound of keys made his heart pound just until he saw his mother's soft face.

"Where is he?"

-

Jungwoo broke through the skate park chains with a small limp. As he approached the slumped over Lucas, he couldn't help but laugh at the matching bruises they had under their right cheek.

Jungwoo sat down with a huff without removing his eyes from Lucas' person. "It's temporary. All of this... It won't be forever," Jungwoo informed. "But we'll be the talk of the school for a little while when we return Wednesday. Isn't that great?"

"What will they say about me? I was giving Mark a blowjob that made him vulnerable at the wheel. That I tried to kill-" he gulped.

"Don't worry. I cried all yesterday and didn't stop until this morning," Jungwoo happily lied. He didn't shed one tear. He couldn't out of fear he'd break down in public and humiliate himself. "Kun was nothing like Sasung. He was better and don't tell him I said that."

Lucas stuck a thumbs up cracking the smallest of all smiles. "Have you talked to Sasung?"

Jungwoo nodded. "Not good news. He said Taeyong spent the whole day threatening anyone who came near him. I didn't tell him that I ruined the boys car so he assumes someone at the school did it."

Lucas blinked and something triggered his thought process. The night when he wanted someone to blame for Kun's death or the fact that Mark still isn't in the condition to leave the hospital. His finger pointed to Jungwoo.

"You ever wonder how if you didn't have the dumbest idea to key Taeyong's car that none of this would happen? That Mark would be picking me up from school and Kun would be walking down the hall with you with a smile on his face like always? You ever wonder?"

Jungwoo shook his head. "I try not to worry too much about what could have happened. Instead, I know what happened is what happened and you can't undo your fate." Jungwoo looked at Lucas with sincerity. "This was Kun's time."

Lucas looked back at Jungwoo as if he said his life changing statement. "What if-"

"What could make you happy inside, Lucas? It used to be Taeyong but now what? What can I do to make you smile."

"Be there for me," Lucas' voice cracked when Mark flashed across his mind. "And I'll be there for you because I know how it feels to hold things in thinking you could replace it with pain."

"I don't know what you're talking about," Jungwoo acted dumb. It was his specialty but now wasn't the time. "I mean, yeah."

Lucas collapsed onto Jungwoo's body; clinging to him for dear life. Neither of them knew exactly what was going on but both their shoulder became wet instantly. "Lucas are you kuh- crying?" Lucas nodded.

"Are you?" Jungwoo nodded. "Okay."

Jungwoo bit his lower lip trying to hold back the tears but there was no use. He hurt for Kun because he knew the boy would hurt just as worse for him.

After a while, the two pulled away and wiped their faces. Lucas sniffled when he looked into Jungwoo's red and puffy eyes.

"Kun's mom called me about the funeral. They're planning on making it private for family members only but I'm invited to the wake." He cleared his throat before looking at Lucas' face for any change. "You can come as my guest if you want?"

"Yeah, that'll be fine."

Mark ~ My mom finally gave me my phone back. Come see me bro. This morphine got me feeling epic!!

"Mark is awake!" Lucas jumps from his seat. "He's up, Jungwoo!"

"Yay," the boy whispered. "I'd get up too but I can't put too much pressure on this leg."

"Pft," Lucas laughed. "Look at us! All broken and bruised," he lifted up his twisted arm. "Come with me to see Mark. I promise you he isn't in the mood to chew anyone out."

"Whatever. Only if you carry me," Jungwoo closed his eyes while basking in the feeling of being older. When he opened them, he saw Lucas was squat down with his back towards him. "I was joking."

"No, get on. I don't want your ankle to snap off your body." Without hesitation, Jungwoo jumped on Lucas' back making the younger huff. "Ugh, let's go!"

The younger rushed off to the gate pretending he was going to drop Jungwoo along the way.

Hope you enjoyed this chapter. Don't forget to vote and comment!