Chapter 16

Percy POV

I sat in the back of the van looking out the window with Pandora and Annabeth sitting to my right. Pandora stuck in the middle. I was incredibly uncomfortable, sitting in a vehicle with two other people next to me. I'm used to traveling by foot or teleportation. It's been a long, long time since I was in a car. It made jumpy and irritable. 'Why did I agree to this?' I thought. 'I should've just stayed home that and got rid of anyone who bothered me and Kelli.'  I thought more. But then I would have never met Hestia another part of me said. I agreed. Hestia was a great person...... er goddess. Plus she taught us how to cook. Hestia took on the mother roll in my life. At first I didn't want to accept her as my mother since I never really had good experiences with 'moms'. Even when I bounced around houses it was always the wife or mother trying to get rid of me. Constantly asking me if I was sure I didn't know where my parents were or if they should call the police. That's actually why I just stopped asking families for help around age six. I found out that being by myself was much better. Of course it was lonely, but I got used to it and sleeping in the woods. Actually I think I was always used to sleeping outside. Even on the roof of the apartment when I slept in cold harsh winter I wasn't that uncomfortable. The only thing that bothered me was the cold. Then there's Kelli. The beautiful brown skinned former blood sucking empousa. She was the first to enter and change my life. Even though she had to resist the urge to eat me for the first few months. When the other monsters betrayed me she stayed. When she could've left me for not only her friends but also the chance to rule a town or city or something, she stayed. When I treated her so cold, like she was a spy and threatened her multiple times she stayed. She is the most loyal person I have met besides Hestia. That's honestly one of the things that draws me to her other than a couple other things. The rest of them just fell into place with Kelli and Hestia. I then noticed a poking on my arm. Looking over I saw that Pandora was poking my arm and telling me that we had arrived at the bus station. I grabbed my bag and jumped out of the van. Argus unloaded the other twos bags and handed them over. He stayed until they had gotten our tickets. I paid for my own so they could have money for themselves. I looked at my 'quest mates' and saw that Pandora looked to be deep in thought. I looked in the direction she was looking. I could sense the negative emotions coming off of her. I didn't know what happened, but it couldn't have been good.

"Are you ok? I asked her. She looked at me and nodded. "Yeah, just thinking." She responded. I nodded. We waited for the bus until they got restless and started playing hackey sack. They invited me to play and after Pandora begging me to play and me turning her down. 'No way am I engaging myself to two girls I barely know or care about.' I thought.

Pandora POV

I don't know what was wrong with vengeance but I was kinda upset when he didn't play hackey sack with me and Annabeth. I didn't understand why he was so closed off. I mean he might have had a tough life that we don't know about but isn't it good to talk about it? That's what my mom said anyway. Secondly, how did he know something was wrong with me? I made sure to keep my emotions from showing. So he had to be able to read my mind or something. But enough of that this game of hackey sack was pretty fun. Annabeth was amazing. She could bounce the apple off her knee, elbow, shoulder, and even her hip. I don't know how she did it but it was awesome. I was decent. The game only ended when the bus arrived, but we didn't notice until vengeance snatched the apple out of the air and took a bite. We looked at him in surprise and mild anger, but he just shrugged and boarded the bus. We followed and he led us to the back and we took our seats. Vengeance looked out the window with a calm expression on his face. However, Annabeth kept tapping her hat against her knee. Once the rest of the people got on the bus she clamped her hand on my knee.

"Pandora." She said and nodded towards the front. I looked to where she signaled and saw an old woman get on the bus. She wore a crumpled velvet dress, lace gloves, and a shapeless orange-knit hat the shadowed her face. She also had a big paisley purse. The thing that made my heart skip a beat though, was the way her black eyes glittered when she tilted her head up. It was Mrs.Dodds. She was older and more withered than before but still had the same evil face. Behind her two more ladies boarded the bus. One in a green hat the other wore a purple one. They looked exactly like mrs.Dodds. Great, triplet demon grandmas. They sat in the front row behind the driver. The two that took the aisle seats crossed their legs as if to say nobody leaves. I looked at Annabeth.