Chapter 21

Pandora POV

I sat across from Annabeth in our booth while vengeance was, somewhere. I don't exactly remember what he said though I do know that it was something about the roof of the train. I had just woken up from a nap because of a dream that I had. In the dream I was standing in front of a huge pit. There was darkness all around me. There was a voice. It sounded like nails scratching on a chalk board. I cringed at the harsh sound. The voice was constantly telling me to help him out and to help him rise. I don't know what he meant by 'helping him rise', but one thing that he said has me worried. He said that he'd give me my mother if I helped me. I didn't exactly know who it was. I assumed it was hades talking to me. He's the only god that lives underground and could get into my dreams. Annabeth and I were just talking about it now.

"You can't barter with hades, Y'know. He's deceitful, heartless, and greedy-." She was then cut off by vengeance, who seemed to pop up out of nowhere. "Well, maybe he wouldn't be such an asshole if the other gods didn't treat him like a piece of shit outcast." He said harshly as he sat down next me. "What do you mean?" Annabeth asked with surprise and also a bit of force. 'Uh-oh. I sense an argument coming.' I thought. "I'm saying that if the other gods treated hades like he was actually family and not some random stranger they're forced to keep around he might have turned out to be a nicer." Vengeance said leaning back. Annabeth frowned. "Why are you defending him? He's evil!" She yelled. "What god isn't evil?" He asked calmly. I could've swore that I heard him mutter an apology to someone. Annabeth gained a look of shock and offense. "Don't you dare say your mother. We all know Athena's hubris gets in the way of most of her decisions. And once she gets angry she expects everyone and thing to fear her and stay away from her. Don't get me wrong. No god is without their faults. In fact all of the gods have major problems." Vengeance stated. I could see Annabeth's eyes darken in anger. Although she knew vengeance was right and that her mom has done so messed up stuff out of anger or because her pride blinded her, she wasn't going to admit it. Deciding I didn't want to lose a friend I intervened.

"Hey guys. Let's not fight, ok? People don't need to die." I said, looking at vengeance at the end. He'd told us about his habit of killing those who aren't important to him and annoys him. Annabeth huffed in anger while vengeance just sat back. I don't know if he had his eyes closed or nor considering he still has on his glasses. I also couldn't see past the arms since they were the types to wrap around your face. "Anyway, you cant trust hades. Period." Annabeth said. "What are you guys talking about anyway?" Vengeance asked. Annabeth gave me a look that said 'don't tell him anything' , but I just ignored her. "It was a dream I had. Someone was asking me to help them rise from some sort of pit. Annabeth thinks it's Hades, but I don't know. Why would he want to leave the underworld?" I asked. Annabeth looked like she was going to say something, but vengeance beat her to it. "He didn't want to rule the underworld. Zeus and Poseidon forced him down there. People believe that the big three drew sticks, but take it from somebody who talked to Poseidon himself. Poseidon feels bad for doing his brother like that, but Zeus doesn't care. As long as his throne is safe." Vengeance finished his explanation off as Annabeth glared harder at him. I looked at him with a shocked expression. "You've talked to my dad?" I asked. He looked over to me. "Yep. Cool guy. Very laid back and care free. Kinda like you only more....masculine." He replied. "Wow. I never met him. All I remember is a smile from when I was a baby." I said. Vengeance looked at me. "Well at least you had that." He said. "What do you mean?" Annabeth asked a bit to eagerly. "Nothing." He said. She huffed for what seemed like the hundredth time and laid back. I did the same and soon fell asleep.

TimeSkip (Percy POV)

After a few more hours of riding in the train we pulled into the downtown Amtrak station. There was going to be a three hour layover before the train headed to Denver. Annabeth insisted we go 'sightseeing' which was just a cover for her forcing us to go see the Arch which is about a mile from the station. Once we got there she craned her neck to look up at it.

"I want to do that." She sighed. "What?" Pandora asked. "To create something like this. To build things." I answered for her. "Yea, has either of you seen the Parthenon?" She asked. I shook my head. "Only in pictures." Was Pandora's answer. "Well, I'm going to see it in person one day. I'm gonna build the greatest monument the gods ever. One that'll last a thousand years." I had to admit that I admire Annabeth for that. Pandora on the other hand, just laughed. "You? An architect? Will you be able to sit down and draw for that long?" She laughed out. "You do know that ADHD has multiple affects, right?" Annabeth said. "And yes I know I want to be an architect. Athena expects her children to create things. Not just tear them down. Like a certain god of earthquakes." She said. Pandora stopped laughing and I grunted. "I learned something in my life. Take note of this Annabeth, before creation must come destruction(guess the reference and you get a follow and shoutout). It means that in order to create something, something else must be torn down. Take people for example. Say they want to change their attitude. They can't just change in a day or night. They can't just overlay their new personality on to the old one. No, they must destroy their old self. Kill off their old habits and ways to that a path for their new better ways can come." I said. They looked at me in shock. "Wow." Pandora said. "Yea, I didn't know you could sound so......wise. How do you know that?" Asked Annabeth. "Experience." I then walked to the entrance to the Arch.

We got on to the elevator that would take us to the top of the Arch. There was a fat lady with a chihuahua with us. Unfortunately, it was a tight fit because the elevator was tiny. I was slightly annoyed, but Pandora looked like she was going crazy. I guess it's because of the claustrophobia from her father. The elevator started to curve and Pandora looked like she was going to puke.

"No parents?" The woman asked. She has beady eyes, pointy blood stained teeth that could pass for coffee stained. "They're below, scared of heights." Annabeth said. "Oh, poor darlings." She said. Her chihuahua started growling at us. "Now,now, sonny. Behave." She said. "Sonny. Is that his name." Asked Pandora. "No." Was the woman's reply. Once we reached the top Pandora and Annabeth looked out of the windows. I stayed behind an kept an eye on the lady. Annabeth went on and on about how she would've done things differently. Pandora however, looked like she was going to have a panic attack. Understandable since Zeus has a tendency to zap every child of his brothers to spite them. The park ranger said that the observation deck would be closing soon and Pandora pushed Annabeth to the elevator. She was going to push me as well, but I glared at her through my glasses. Though she couldn't see it, she could definitely feel the intensity of it. She pushed Annabeth into the elevator and was going to tell me to get on, but realized there already two other tourists on. No room for me.

"We'll get out." Annabeth said, but I pushed her back in. "Don't, I'll see you at the bottom." I said. "Are you sure?" She asked. I nodded, feeling the lady glare at me. They said ok and the elevator took them down. Now it's just me, the park ranger, and a mother and her son. I snapped my fingers and the humans fell asleep.

"So, what are you and your son doing here?" I turned around. "Echidna."