The Audition

You couldn't believe it. Your application for BigHit was accepted! Just a week ago you got an email notification and a letter in the mail that BigHit was interested in meeting you in person. Today, you flew to South Korea for the preliminary auditions.

You didn't tell your parents, even though you're grown. You're 20. You didn't need to tell them every detail of your life. Even though you never told them you applied to be in the next big Kpop group, you did tell them you were flying to Korea. But for a vacation. With your best friend. Who is also 20. And they agreed you could go. Sweet, right?

Your best friend had agreed to come with you if you got accepted -- to make it a girl trip or whatever. You were instantly relieved when she told you she'd be with you every step of the way. You sometimes doubted yourself, but her positive energy and words of wisdom always helped to give you the confidence you needed.

When you finally arrived on Seoul ground, you had no worries. You slipped on your shades, feeling the warmth of the sun hugging your body, and marched around the city with pride. You were ready to spend the next few days trying Korean barbecue, paragliding, renting a karaoke room, visiting museums, raccoon cafes, and shopping! You were also ready to practice your limited knowledge of Korean language. (You always imagined trying to ask a local where to find something then having them slap you in the face because you accidentally said something inappropriate, like in the movies!).

The only thing you weren't ready for is how people, specifically the judges at BigHit, would perceive you. 

You were a girl... but you made the daring and thoughtless decision of applying for a boy kpop group. You knew what you were getting yourself into; the audition announcement specifically asked for males born between 1998 & 2003. You were born in the right year - 1998 - just not the right body perhaps.

But you could get away with it. You were tall and slender, had short dark hair that was spiky, and generally wore jeans, sneakers, and over-sized tees 24/7. A typical tomboy. You'd like to think you resembled Amber from f(x), an old kpop group from a few years ago. You admired the androgynous style and hated being girly. So why wouldn't BigHit choose you?

God made you flat-chested (blessing or a curse?) so the appearance of breasts under your shirt wouldn't be an issue. Your voice was also slightly lower pitched than most females your age: that could work in your favor as well. Maybe there was nothing to worry about.

"(Your full name), they're ready for you." A petite woman with a short brown bob and clipboard called out.

You were waiting outside the practice room with all the other male idol hopefuls. Everyone fit the typical idol form: tall with fair skin, an oval shaped face, nice bone structure, and dark hair. There were a few unique ducks who decided to color their hair vibrant blondes and reds. Some flaunted their most fashionable looks, wearing namebrand everything from head to toe. Others, like me, came more simply dressed, sporting only skinny jeans or sweats with plain shirts.

At the mention of your name, you stand up, receiving a pat on the back from your best friend as you make your way into the practice room where you're faced with three judges sitting behind a table. You instantly recognize the more stocky-looking judge with glasses as Bang Si-hyuk, the CEO of BigHit.

Oh my god!!

Awkwardly shuffling into the near empty space, you bow to the judges before being guided to stand on the X marked with blue tape.

"Y/N, nice of you to make it today. You're from... America?" Bang asks while reading my application, no particular expression on his face. 

"Yes," You respond in English.