Chapter 16

Hey everyone, another Monday, another update! Be forewarned, there is a cliffhanger at the end, it couldn't be helped and I don't have time today to fix it :)  I hope you enjoy it anyways, so happy reading!!!

*Sang*

I'm so excited I can hardly stand it, I get to go on a mission with North, with one of my guys and it somehow feels so right. Although, if he tells me one more time not to do anything stupid, I'm going to hit him, lovingly of course but it'll happen.

"North, it's going to be fine, it's only recon and you'll be by my side the entire time, stop freaking out," I tell him, and the worry in his eyes causes me to sigh. "North Star, I'll be okay."

He drops his head into the crook of my neck, wrapping his strong arms around me tight before he heaves a great big sigh. "It's not you I'm worried about, Baby, I know that you can handle yourself, but there are dangerous men in there that make me anxious. If I had my way, you wouldn't be anywhere near here, but I know I can't keep you in a bubble, and I don't want to. Just promise me you'll do your best to stay glued to my side."

Laying a gentle kiss on his lips, I whisper "I promise."

Kissing me back a little deeper, a little rougher, he pulls back and presses his forehead to mine before shaking himself out of his worries. "That's all I needed to hear."

Faster than I can blink, he's up off the bike and pulling me to stand with him. I watch in fascination as an Owen-like mask of steel falls over his face and Academy North comes forward, zero emotion showing except for the telltale smirk on his face I know well enough means he's amused by my saring.

"Oh shut it," I huff and the smirk widens slightly before even that disappears and he slips into the role of badass silent bodyguard that even the toughest biker in that bar would hesitate to mess with.

Deciding to be a little mean, I muss up my hair, giving it that messy, just-out-of-bed look that guys for some reason seem to like before taking off the leather jacket for the first time tonight, delighting in the sharp inhale from North. Take that you smug, gorgeous bastard.

"Fucking hell, Baby, I'm gonna end up killing someone tonight," he grunts out, tracing his calloused hands down the line of my spine and I shiver.

Turning around to face him, I grab his hand and pull him towards the front door, ready to be done with this mission and get home. "Let's get this show on the road already," I shout and laugh when he just groans before taking up sentinel behind me the second he battered metal door opens.

Already the smell of beer, smoke, and puke assaults my nose and I get a little less excited for this mission, did it really have to be here? Pushing forward through the crowd is easier than I expected, likely because of the glaring, dark bodyguard standing at my back, and soon we've made it up to the bar.

I tell the bartender to fill two beer bottles with water so North and I can start working on blending into the background, or at least look like we're not here to spy on a notorious Russian gang. Being the only girl under 40 in here has its perks, as I'm served almost immediately, much to the dismay of the overly made up woman to my right who looks about 60 trying to look 20. But I feel bad for making her wait even longer so I order her a drink on me, and the smile I receive in return is almost worth being in a rundown bar in North Charleston late at night.

Turning back to North, I see him already staring at me with a soft smile on his face before he shakes his head and surreptitiously scans the place. "You're too sweet for your own good, Baby," he whispers and I blush slightly.

"What? I felt bad, she was next until I got there, it was the right thing to do," I reason with him and his shoulders bounce minutely with silent laughter.