Letters

I felt deflated. I felt like a balloon in my chest had burst and all the air had gone.

 “You can’t do this!” I yelled.

 “We need the money!” Mum replied in a raised, yet steady, voice.

 “You can’t fly over to Melbourne for 2 months! Even if it is for work! Who is going to look after me? I struggle to make 2 Minute Noodles by myself!” I shout again.

 “Your brother will be here, Mrs Kin is next door, and if that fails Luke is an excellent chef.” Mum replied, crossing her arms over her chest.

 I sighed in defeat. “Mum, you can’t leave me alone. Hudson is never home!”

 “I know. But you’ll do fine. If you get lonely and need to talk to a family member, you can send a letter to your nan, or to me.” Mum smiled and put her hand in mine.

 “I just don’t want you to leave me.” I looked at my feet, not wanting to look into my mother’s grey eyes.

 “I know, honey. I don’t want to leave you either. I’ll be leaving tomorrow night and I’ll be back before you know it. I’ll call you as much as I can.” She smiled; a tear glinted in her eyes. I hugged her, tightly. We stood, hugging each other, for a God knows how long.

                                                        *    *    *    *

If you couldn’t already tell, my mum and I are very close. After Dad left us we spent a lot of time together, soon we became best friends. My mum and I share a bond, a bond that doesn’t break, even in the worst of times. Watching mum leave for her flight to Melbourne was heart wrenching. Sure, it was only for 2 months, but that’s 2 months I’ll spend without my mother, my best friend.

 “Remember: if you get lonely, send a letter to your Grandma. You haven’t spoken to her in 3 years, she is getting old. Just ask her how her day was and you should be fine.” Mum smiled at me before she had to board her flight.

 “I will. Have a safe trip and don’t forget to call.” I said and hugged her. Luke stood next to me when she left. He was always there for me when I needed him and he knew how close I was to my mum. He went through all my problems with me.

 Luke had been my best friend since Kindy, we were inseparable duo throughout primary school. It wasn’t until High School that he met Calum and Ashton. Then the duo became a foursome, but it wasn’t half bad because Cal, Ash and Luke started up a small band (though, they were still looking for a lead guitarist). In Year 9 (when I was 14 going on 15) Luke asked me to be his girlfriend.

 It wasn’t until then that I realized I had strong feelings for him. Now we are in Year 12 (17 Years Old) and still going strong. Though the band that the boys made have given up on finding a lead guitarist and now only practice as a band for a hobby.

 “Shall we get a coffee?” Luke asked after Mum left.

 “We shall.” I replied. He slipped his hand into mine and we walked to the nearest café in the airport.