Lasagne and The Second Letter

The limo ride was amazing. Good music pumped through the speakers, fairy lights sparkled on the roof, and the leather seats were like soft clouds. Luke looked like Prince Charming sitting across from me, sipping his glass of champagne.

“Are you sure you don’t want any?” Luke asked, holding his glass towards me.

“Maybe a little.” I took a sip from Luke’s glass and handed it back to him. An even bigger grin formed on his beautiful face.

“You really do look stunning today.” He looked at his feet as he talked.

“And you, Lucas Hemming’s, scrub up quite nicely yourself.” I laughed.

“I try.” He winked.

                                                             *     *    *    *

His eyes sparkled in the flickering light of the candle. Man, he was so handsome.

“This is really good lasagne.” Luke said after swallowing a big mouthful of food.

“See? I told you!” I giggled.

“I should have listened to you sooner.” He smiled, taking a bite of his dinner.

I took a bite of my own dinner. This lasagne was the reason I existed. It exploded in my mouth and made me feel at peace. I never knew I could be so emotionally invested in lasagne.

Luke gulped down his lasagne before speaking. “Listen,” He started.

“You’re not breaking up with me are you? I mean this was a really good night, you can’t dump me now!” I cut him off.

“I’m not breaking up with you,” Luke laughed, “In fact, I was going to do the opposite…”

“No. no. no. I can’t marry you either! I’m only 17!” I cut him off again.

“I’m not asking you that either! You’re not really good at this are you?” Luke smiled his never-fading smile. “I was going to say….” Luke looked deep into my eyes. “I was going to say… I-I think that I’m in love with you.”

Luke looked away from me and stared at his now empty dish.

“Luke…” I started. But that was al I could say.

I did love Luke. But was I IN love with him? After 3 years, I’ve never asked myself that question before. In my opinion, there was a big difference between loving someone and being IN love with them.

Luke was always there for me when I was being bullied in Year 6 and 7. Luke was there for me when Dad left. Luke was always there.

“Say something…” Luke said, after a few minutes. For the first time in what felt like years, Luke never-fading smile faded. His eyes sparkled but not with excitement… but with anticipation.

“I think I’m in love with you too.” I replied. My voice wavered, but I kept talking, “You’ve always been there for me. When I was being bullied, when Dad left, and even just the other day when Mum went away… You have always been there and you have never left. And every time you stand by me, every time you help me, I fall in love with you a little more. ”

Luke smiled and said; “And it’s been the greatest gift of all to be next to you. To have you by my side, even when the going got tough.” Luke, for some reason, started laughing. Then I started laughing. We didn’t stop laughing. Everyone in the restaurant were looking at us, probably wondering if we were loony or not. Tears were rolling down our faces from laughing so hard. To be honest, I didn’t even know why we were laughing.

                                                           *    *    *    *    *

I woke up the next morning on the couch. Luke had his arm draped over my waist.

After our laughing fit, we ate desert, got the cheque and we left. I got into my pyjamas, Luke got into the tracksuit pants that he kept at my house. He didn’t wear a shirt; I didn’t know how he could wear only pants in winter. I didn’t question it though; he had a very nice body.

I slipped out of his arms and went to check the mail. I was eager to receive my next letter from Michael.

At the dinner last night, I was going to bring the letters up, but I didn’t want to ruin the date. It was a spectacular night too. Plus, I didn’t want Luke to think that I was flirting with another boy. So I kept it to myself.

There were 4 letters sticking out of the mailbox. I crossed my fingers, hoping that one of them was for me. I slid the letters out of the mailbox and walked into the kitchen.

My heart started racing when I saw one addressed to me, my name was written in the same handwriting as the last letter. This better be him. I thought while I ripped the envelope open.

                                                         Dear Kalila,

I have so many favourite bands. A few of my favourite bands are; Green Day, Blink-182, The 1975, and Fall out Boy… Metallica is cool too. But all that aside, let’s get to know each other! I’ll start. My name is Michael, I’m 18, and I like pizza. I play guitar and sing a little. I enjoy videogames, music and food. That’s really it, actually… If you have any more questions, feel free to ask J

                  How was your day? Tell me more of yourself! Don’t hold back J

                                                     Your new friend,

                                                    Michael Clifford.

I stood in the kitchen, again re-reading the letter, an idiotic smile plastered to my face. Michael Clifford.

Luke walked into the kitchen. His blonde hair was perfect as ever. “What’s that?” He asked in his morning voice. He pointed lazily to the letter in my hand.

“It’s just a letter from a guy who lives when my Nan…” I replied.

His head perked up. “A guy?!” He asked, suddenly interested in the conversation.

“Don’t worry. It’s not like that! I only just met him. Plus you’re my boyfriend. Remember?” I smiled.

“I know. I’m sorry. Anyway I’m going to turn a movie on. Pop some popcorn and meet me in there. Ok?” He pecked me on the check and left the room.

I didn’t know why, but his name was echoing through my head. Though it wasn’t Luke’s name, but Michael’s.

                                                                      Michael Clifford.